Recommend a No-Nonsense 8mm camera

REGARDS ALL...

Many thanks in advance for your continued help,

i must say i've learned volumes about the art of film

and cinematography simply by reading through this forum.

I Would However--

like to ask for some opinions as to which type of 8mm camera

a Novice such as myself should purchase? ? ?

I am looking for a no nonsense camera that would allow for a decent

margin of error when dealing with exposure and metering,

I was told to look at the late model CANON's 814-1014XLS

but i have been awe-struck by the solid look of the

NIZO BRAUN S800 ...

i'm looking to spend around 200 USD$

on a camera that would be reliable and

easily operated, both indoor and outdoor.

I was hoping for LAPDISSOLVE

and also a functioning on camera

light meter...

?????????????

ANY RECCOMENDATIONS

OR ANY EXPERIENCE THAT YOU COULD SHARE

would be greatly appreciate

BEST REGARDS

aerosyn-lex mestrovic

I use a Chinon 1206SM myself, found it reliable and right-to-business. Also quite easy to repair if necessary. Also the low-end Vivitars I've used to good extent as a basic get-to-business camera. The Canon you mentioned is a higher-end camera than my Vivitars and about the same level as my Chinon. Several GAF's are rebranded Chinons as well.

Best idea is to find a cheap camera to practice with before investing heavy money into a serious camera. That $200 would get 2 of the Vivitars I've bought along with 10 rolls of film including processing. Good practice indeed.

I am looking for a no nonsense camera that would allow for a decent

margin of error when dealing with exposure and metering,

If you need a margin of error dont shoot with reversal! neg is much more easy going as it has a much wider lattitude, Kodak has two vision stocks available in S8.

I Own a Cannon 1014XLS and its really good. It's dead quiet and very solid, it also deals with the thicker neg stocks much better than my Nizo, also you can get a crystal sync unit from "The Film Group" for sync audio!

Olly

Hi,

What's this about neg stocks being thicker? I'd have thought that reversal would be physically bulkier. Could this have contributed to my recent jamming problems?

Phil

Neg stocks seem to be harder to get through the S8 gate in my experience, the older the camera the tougher it seems to be! The camera needs to be in tip-top condition to do a good job and even then you get a little frame jump.... This Andec Filmtechnik pressure plate apparantly helps alot with that but I'm still waiting to see the results.

Olly

Always use an external light meter with super8. Had a Leicina Special but didn't like the viewfinder.

Watch out though, S8 aint like shooting 16 and 35, lenses and cameras differ greatly in their exposure needs so an external metre can be less acurate than the cameras own metre! Infact I'd always trust a working internal metre over an external in S8 but thats just me, I guess if you test your camera with a metre 1st to see how it calibrates then it can work well as you can take more detailed readings and you get to look much cooler too :D

PS the Leicina Special is a very lovely camera, interchangable lenses!

S8 cameras with built in zoom lenses will likely have the stops as F stops which will not take into account the light losses from the reflex viewing systems especially - and the small loss at wide aperatures in the lens optics - but the reflex systems can steal up to a stop worth of light (why you get those bright finder images)

-Sam