II Kern Paillard, Vario Switar, 1:2,5, F-18, 86mm, EE, H 16 RX (maybe Vario Switar 86 f2.5 18-86mm EE) battery & manual question

James Honeycutt

Hello folks...

I have searched everywhere for a data sheet or manual for my II Kern Paillard, Vario Switar, 1:2,5, F-18, 86mm, EE, H 16 RX lens.  I believe Bolex made it (?) and it was called the  Vario Switar 86 f2.5 18-86mm EE, but I am not sure of this.

I know this lens takes a battery but I have no idea where the battery is located.  Can anyone give me a clue?  Also, I would like the manual for this lens if one was made and if not, maybe a data sheet talking about this lens.

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.  I will try to attach a small photo with red arrows where i think the battery may be located.

Thank you,

mraroid

BXJlens.jpg

• Premium Member

This lens was made by Kern, the same company that made Switar, Yvar etc primes. 

The battery should be accessible by unscrewing the second half of long tube that holds the light meter cell. 

Your lens seems to have been modified to fit that camera. The run plunger/auto diaphragm selector is missing (the short plain black cylinder part) and the back has been machined flat (normally there is a protruding part that fits over the Bolex run button). 

See this description: http://bolexh16user.net/VarioSwitar86EE.htm

Many of the functions are similar to other Kern zooms, like this one: 

http://www.vintagecameras.fr/images/MonSite/BOLEX/H16_Reflex/_Doc/Vario-Switar_100-POE.pdf

Main difference is the meter on the 86 EE  is external, parallel to the lens, rather than TTL like the 100 POE. 

If you google search "site:cinematography.com Vario-Switar 86EE"  you'll find a bunch of threads from this site with information about this zoom.

Hello Dom...

Thank you so much for the above information.  I will explore the links you have posted.  Just an hour or so ago, I found the Bolex manual for this lens.  I live in the US, and the company selling manuals is in the UK.  Here is a link:

https://www.camera-manual.com/bolex-vario-switar-lenses-manual-23324

The manual I just bought was for the Bolex Vario Switar 86 EE (18 - 86/f ).  I think this is the closest match to the lens on my camera.  I suspect the manuals are photo copies.  I hope they are clearly printed.

It will probably take a while for it to arrive in the US from the UK, but it should tell me a great deal about the lens.  I gather from the links you posted that the lens can go to automatic mode (I need the battery first), or manual mode.  I suspect the manual will tell me how to do this.

Thank you again for the links and great information.

best,

mraroid

• Premium Member

The 100-POE manual I linked to will tell you how to select auto or manual aperture.

Basically pull out the silver cover on the aperture tube and turn it counterclockwise all the way to make it manual.

15 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

The 100-POE manual I linked to will tell you how to select auto or manual aperture.

Basically pull out the silver cover on the aperture tube and turn it counterclockwise all the way to make it manual.

Thanks again Dom.  After your post, I was able to capture the links you posted and read them in detail.  Now I know how to do it thanks to you.

I very much appreciate your help.

Best,

mraroid

8 hours ago, Doug Palmer said:

Hopefully the auto aperture works OK when you test it.  This is a nice, sharp lens that can be highly useful when the lighting changes during a shot, as you pan or zoom etc.  I much regret getting rid of mine.?

Hello Doug...  I think I am really going to like this lens.  As a past owner, you know that it takes a 1.35V battery to power the auto.  It used a mercury battery in the old days.  I have faced this issue before with a built in light meter in one of my Super8 cameras.  I found a very nice, but slightly costly solution.  I bought this little guy out of Japan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403568363371

You buy off the shelf hearing aid batteries and drop one into this device.  The hearing aid batteries are called a silver oxide 386 battery.  I bought a 5 pack on Amazon for very little money.  I bought Everready brand, but they sell many off brand 386 batteries for much less.

It is going to take a good week or more for the adapter to arrive in the US from Japan.  But if it works as well as the one I bought for my Super8 camera, I will be very happy with it.

mraroid

16 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Quick question Dom....

The short stubby lens that has the ASA window in it.  Is that suppose to to be able to turn with your hand to set the ASA?  Mine is stuck and will not move.  Maybe I need to wait until my battery arrives?  The manual from the UK is a good week or more away.

best,

mraroid