New replacement parts for the original CP16R main circuit board!

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

I figured out how to get the crystal oscillator section of my original broken CP16R board working. Meaning that I was able to probe the signals with an oscilloscope to find out how I can emulate the signals of the original crystal oscillator.

This means that I am able to make a replacement circuit board which does the functions of the original crystal oscillator on the CP16R board (the upper part of the board) in case someone has a original main board with an broken oscillator section (due to battery leakage or other reason).

It would be possible to make the partial replacement board so that the built-in single crystal speed can even be changed if needed.

LET ME KNOW ASAP IF INTERESTED IN THIS OPTION. I would have the possibility to design the replacement board in November or December (only a single batch made as these are rarely needed). The estimated price range for the replacement board would be from 180 to 300 usd + shipping depending on how large of a section of the original board's functions it replaces and if there is any additional features in it. I could probably emulate the original footage counter too though no idea yet how costly it would be.

The crystal oscillator is the disc with holes right? Battery leakage damages the areas around the battery most of the time, so it's kind of confusing. Can you post a picture pointing the area or the part that the new circuit could save?

Would this option keep the camera running at original speeds? 1 sync speed and several wild ones?

Thanks for the hard work Aapo.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Ruben Arce said:

The crystal oscillator is the disc with holes right? Battery leakage damages the areas around the battery most of the time, so it's kind of confusing. Can you post a picture pointing the area or the part that the new circuit could save?

Would this option keep the camera running at original speeds? 1 sync speed and several wild ones?

Thanks for the hard work Aapo.

The new board replaces this circled portion's functions on the cp16r original board. It has the crystal oscillator itself and two dividers which generate the pwm frequency and the framerate reference frequency for the crystal sync.

52425839719_6a13b4a5e4_k.jpg

52426010625_97e56fb7ef_k.jpg

My current board design has a programmable divider which enables having one other crystal speed on the original camera if one uses a clever separate switch design to select between the regular crystal speed and this additional crystal speed. I can do most of the usual crystal speeds no problem but the camera drive gear type needs to be known when I am programming the replacement board here before shipping (24fps or 25fps gear in the camera) and that setting cannot be changed afterwards

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I could do a replacement for the original footage counter as well, but I have a much better footage counter board developed for my 1-speed CP16R system which can be adapted to work on the original camera as well with some modifications and that board is cheaper and better than the replacement for the original footage counter would be. That is why I am not planning on making a replacement footage counter for the original camera separately as my existing design is better than the original ?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I will likely make a replament solution for the 70-964 hybrid ic later this year if I get the replacement board working correctly.

The other hybrid ic is more difficult to replicate as it includes analog oscillators and such with likely laser trimmed parts.

but I will attempt the 70-964 ic first because to me it seems doable as a half year project and I will probably need those replacement parts for some of my other camera projects so it should be useful enough for me to attempt to replicate.

-----------

a clarification for those wondering what these hybrid ic parts actually do in the cp16r camera:

the 70-964 is a phase locking chip used for crystal syncing the tachometer signal to the reference frequency coming from either the crystal oscillator (for the crystal sync framerate) or the RC oscillator on the main board (for other non-sync framerates the original camera has).

the 70-963 hybrid chip has some of the shutter parking functions and the analog oscillators used for making the non-sync framerate frequencies for the camera. Also the crystal frequency signal goes through this chip and the chip controls the slow start-stop function as well.

• Like 1

The small shutter is part of the main shutter-mirror parking system. When the camera  is buttoned off, the motor remains running at a slower speed creeping the park shutter around until it breaks IR light between an emitter and detector. In the manual there is reference to not bending the little wire which feeds to either the emitter or detector because a glass part will be broken.