Why, oh why, the sizzling sky?

Stewart McLain

I've been watching some older films recently with my nephew who is staying with us for Christmas and I'm seeing an artifact in the movies that has bothered me for some time:  the sky looks like it is alive and sizzling with ameoba-like creatures.  It's always from movies that were originally shot on film. It irritates me because I'm sure that young people seeing these movies for the first time just think that film must just have looked like that. Anyway,  I'm just curious; where in the digitzalization chain does this weird degradation occur?  

• Premium Member

It’s noise from a telecine transfer or scan off of a film negative, where the darkest (densist) areas are the brightest areas in the scene, like the sky. So those areas are underexposing the sensor, causing signal noise. Not all telecines or scanners create noise in bright areas though.

• Like 2

Well, thank you all for the insight.  Sounds like it can get piled on at any point in the process.  I was just reading an interview with Sydney Pollack last night where he said he would actually check projection lenses and personally clean screens at theaters that were going to show his films.  There's just so little control over how your film will ultimately be viewed.