Interior Car Rigging

Noah Collier

Im shooting a documentary that primarily takes place inside of a 15 passenger van and am trying to figure out the best way to get stable footage of the driver and passengers from inside of the vehicle. Does anyone have any experience with interior car rigging? Potentially with a gimbal involved? 

• 2 months later...

You can also get an extensible „clamping rod“ (something like this, even though this one wouldn’t be suited: https://toolineo.de/bosch-teleskop-klemmstange-bt-350-p!100000001861896.html ) and attach it between the van‘s floor and ceiling. Then, you can attach a tripod head with some clamp.

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

I would maybe try a Mitchell  vibration isolator on a Cardellini tri-hat with a low rotating offset from a Fischer dolly. You can use regular camera risers and almost get away with lead bags to hold it down. I always ratchet strap the base as well via any bolt holes or seat belt holes etc.

Modern studio equipment make metric to 3/8' thread adapters which you can get 3/8" female eyes to rig into.

Always keep the vibration isolator directly below the camera so that it works most efficiently. When the weight is offset it binds sometimes.

I like bungee cams as well. I have a pretty cool setup that rides on a piece of pipe that takes out a lot of unwanted movement.

That is the idea behind the vibration isolator as well. if smooth is what you are trying to attain then I would consider one for sure.