Eclair ACL II kit and 3x400' mags for sale

Gregg MacPherson

I'm selling most of, possibly all of, my Eclair ACL gear....An almost new ACL II kit, and separately, 3x400' French mags.

It's difficult to set a price, so for now I'm seeking offers. The only useful reference I can find on price is a recent eBay sale for USD5K, eBay item number:266036424167. But that kit was more used and less well optioned. Meanwhile people on the forum have advertised their XTRs at north of 20K and 27K. We can start a sidebar somewhere on the relative value or usefulness of these cameras.

The interesting questions and any sidebars into Eclair esoterica belong on the Eclair Fleamarket  thread (page 2, same date).....

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/91893-eclair-flea-market/page/2/#comment-575118

Direct message me with any offers or serious enquiries.

3) S16 ACL II kit, (seeking offers).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iv95oerahx3929f/AADPd-7BkrctDPv78WjwtDlDa?dl=0

203890282_20230214_1643091.thumb.jpg.32c6ea2954cd89253757fa73201922f6.jpg

S16 ACL II kit in almost new condition. I didn't get to use it. The guy I got it from (Chris Squires), when he got it I don't know if it had ever been used, it still had the Eclair factory test film with it. He shot a couple of short films with it. Anyway, looks brand new. Conversion was started by Les Bosher then done over and finished by Paul at Visual Products. Good mounts and accessories. It's been a few years since its last lubrication so I think that should be refreshed. 

S16 ACL II kit package includes...

- ACL II camera body, #2730 (Visual Products full S16 conversion),
- Heavy duty 75fps motor, all crystal speeds, mirror parking, #2954,
- Replacement electronic mother board for motor, 
- 3x200' magazines (2 are S16), with caps, late model with small insert pressure plate over       gate, #s D128, D249, and D98,
- Kinoptik viewfinder, #95675
- ACL/PL adaptor
- ACL/Arri SB adaptor
- AZ Spectrum video assist, B&W, SN417, with power cable,
- PL front cap, C mount front cap, DIY Arri-B front cap, 2x gate protectors, 
- 15mm rod base (with cutouts for switch access), rods with extensions (Les B.)
- Factory top handle,  
- Anatomical hand grip with on-off, 
- Barney, a little tight with a 400' mag,
- Battery power cables..Jaeger/Canon XLR4, 2x short ones for on-board, 2x long spiral,
- 4 on-board battery packs, NiCad cells. One pack may be OK. I'm assuming the buyer will want     to recell with NiMhi. 
- Eclair quick charger (NiCad), 

4) 3x400' French ACL mags, (seeking offers).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ycbv8azk5q3xih4/AABZgXIWIb7vXemO_QQtr8sOa?dl=0

3x 400' French mags, late model with small insert pressure plate over the gate. Quite tidy looking. Two are S16, machining looks really nice. My guess is that they will all need fresh lubrication, but that is all they should need if given CLA. These mags didn't come with the kit above, so probably selling them separately.
Label and serial numbers are...
- Pat 1 #SD-503, with cap, S16,
- Pat 2 #SD-296, with cap, S16,
- FR3   #SC-797, no cap,

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
formatting

14 hours ago, Takuya Mera said:

Hi,

I'm interested in buying the camera.

Is the motor still functional?

Like it says above, it's almost brand new. The motor is fully functional, all crystal speeds. Motor was upgraded/modified by Andrew at AZ Spectrum, I think when Visual products did the S16 convert.

I don't think I have a picture included of the VP S16 ground glass. Their gg has the old lines removed and freshly etched S16 and TV safe marks.

I listed the 400' mags because someone may want to add to the camera kit, or swap out 400' vs 200' mags.

Gregg.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Gregg.

I might be interested in buying this camera back from you. I'll keep in touch. I think the listings on ebay are inflated; most of those have been up for months, even years. I recently sold an ACL for a friend for $4,000. Also in nice, but not quite as nice, condition. A few more mags, also Super 16, PL adapter. Please email me with your thoughts on price. I'd be happy to have this camera again.

Chris

Hey Chris,
Nice to hear from you. This could be an interesting dance...The camera kit is a honey as you know. It may have shot only one short film from new, then just scratch tests. It's still almost brand new.

Setting a price is difficult....A few years ago there was a low point in 16mm prices, a nadir where I think I saw an XTERA kit on eBay sell for $2.5K. Now we have forum members listing their XTRs for over $20K and $27K. The value of good ACL kits will also rise. 

As a reference, the recent eBay sale (item:266036424167), an ACL1.5 S16, good Ang. VF, PL and Arri-B mounts,  1x400', 2x200'mags (don't think the mags were S16)..sold for $5K (I checked with the seller).   
Using that reference, I value my kit at about $7K without fees.

Yes there are some inflated eBay listings of ACL kits that can be ignored. Commonly standard 16, not well optioned, with poor viewfinders or crap ground glass. Listings at USD7K, 10K, 9.6K from provideofilm. And multiple ACL Is, minimum kit for about USD3K from antiqu-photo. A recent S16 listing with a crap ground glass sat at over USD10K.

I got an offer of $7K for my kit as listed above, before CLA, then modified to $7.4K with 2x400' S16, 2x200' S16 mags. I'd like to accept that offer, but we still have a hurdle to jump with shipping. Until I have a firm commitment I am  still seeking offers.

Gregg.

PS...My email is the same as back then. Is yours? We can discus it further.  

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
more words
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two successive deals have lapsed. The kit is still available.

Meanwhile I found a fault in the mirror parking, in the motor. Motor was sent to AZ Spectrum and will be repaired in June. I can entertain offers before then, but I prefer that the camera ships after the motor returns.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gregg!

I'm interested in this kit (minus the 400-ft mags, if possible) if it's still available. Where are you located, NZ?

Feel free to shoot me an email at skylercarrico@gmail.com

Edited by Skyler Carrico

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, Gregg MacPherson said:

I'm selling most of, possibly all of, my Eclair ACL gear....An almost new ACL II kit, and separately, 3x400' French mags.

It's difficult to set a price, so for now I'm seeking offers. The only useful reference I can find on price is a recent eBay sale for USD5K, eBay item number:266036424167. But that kit was more used and less well optioned. Meanwhile people on the forum have advertised their XTRs at north of 20K and 27K. We can start a sidebar somewhere on the relative value or usefulness of these cameras.

The interesting questions and any sidebars into Eclair esoterica belong on the Eclair Fleamarket  thread (page 2, same date).....

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/91893-eclair-flea-market/page/2/#comment-575118

Direct message me with any offers or serious enquiries.

3) S16 ACL II kit, (seeking offers).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iv95oerahx3929f/AADPd-7BkrctDPv78WjwtDlDa?dl=0

203890282_20230214_1643091.thumb.jpg.32c6ea2954cd89253757fa73201922f6.jpg

S16 ACL II kit in almost new condition. I didn't get to use it. The guy I got it from (Chris Squires), when he got it I don't know if it had ever been used, it still had the Eclair factory test film with it. He shot a couple of short films with it. Anyway, looks brand new. Conversion was started by Les Bosher then done over and finished by Paul at Visual Products. Good mounts and accessories. It's been a few years since its last lubrication so I think that should be refreshed. 

S16 ACL II kit package includes...

- ACL II camera body, #2730 (Visual Products full S16 conversion),
- Heavy duty 75fps motor, all crystal speeds, mirror parking, #2954,
- Replacement electronic mother board for motor, 
- 3x200' magazines (2 are S16), with caps, late model with small insert pressure plate over       gate, #s D128, D249, and D98,
- Kinoptik viewfinder, #95675
- ACL/PL adaptor
- ACL/Arri SB adaptor
- AZ Spectrum video assist, B&W, SN417, with power cable,
- PL front cap, C mount front cap, DIY Arri-B front cap, 2x gate protectors, 
- 15mm rod base (with cutouts for switch access), rods with extensions (Les B.)
- Factory top handle,  
- Anatomical hand grip with on-off, 
- Barney, a little tight with a 400' mag,
- Battery power cables..Jaeger/Canon XLR4, 2x short ones for on-board, 2x long spiral,
- 4 on-board battery packs, NiCad cells. One pack may be OK. I'm assuming the buyer will want     to recell with NiMhi. 
- Eclair quick charger (NiCad), 

4) 3x400' French ACL mags, (seeking offers).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ycbv8azk5q3xih4/AABZgXIWIb7vXemO_QQtr8sOa?dl=0

3x 400' French mags, late model with small insert pressure plate over the gate. Quite tidy looking. Two are S16, machining looks really nice. My guess is that they will all need fresh lubrication, but that is all they should need if given CLA. These mags didn't come with the kit above, so probably selling them separately.
Label and serial numbers are...
- Pat 1 #SD-503, with cap, S16,
- Pat 2 #SD-296, with cap, S16,
- FR3   #SC-797, no cap,

The camera kit is sold, pending on payment, $8000. With 1x400',  2x200' S16 mags. There are still 2 400' mags left and I am undecided on whether to sell them. If I build my remaining ACL II into a kit I may need mags. I actually had the offer a couple of months ago but I wanted to get the motor back from service before I made a deal.

Gregg.

• 4 months later...