What Super 8 cartridge should I use?

Paul Callaghan

I recently dug out the Canon 514XL-S that I used to shoot stop motion animation with when i was a kid, and I'm wondering what film cartridge i should use with it if I wanted to do that again. I can't remember what film I used then, as it was 40 years ago. The manual states that "single frame EE shooting is possible when a silent cartridge is used," which seems to indicate that it's impossible otherwise.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

"le frame EE shooting is possible when a silent cartridge is used." "singlethat "single frame EE shooting is possible when a silent cartridge is used." frame EE shooting is possible when a silent cartridge is used."

Hi!

When you don’t count some special cartridges for some very unique cameras, then there have been three different types of Super8-cartridges:

15m silent 

15m sound

60m sound 

Now, the only cartridge left is:

15m silent

The cartridge needed by your camera for single frame shooting is:

15m silent

So, there is nothing to worry about anymore (when buying fresh cartridges). These days, you’ll only have to decide between negative and reversal and then colour or b&w.

• Thanks 1

I assume there was some incompatibility between the sound cartridge and single-frame advance due to the presence of the sound capstan. Anyway, as Joerg says, the problem disappeared along with the sound cartridge 25 years ago.