Manual, crank-powered 65mm film camera featured in the film Nope

It has been discussed here not too long ago and if I recall, the camera in question is an early gen IMAX camera. 

To my understanding, many motion picture cameras can be modified to be hand cranked. For instance I have used an Arri IIc that was hand cranked. My Arri 35 3 can be modded to be hand cranked. Lots of fun using a camera that way and rather efficient for some kind of shots since you rarely reach 24fps hand cranking. It is usually a slower frame rate yielding a fast paced home movie look. 

Supposedly, every Mitchell 35 ever made had an 8:1 shaft with an accessible D-spline that could be hand cranked.

I know for a fact that this is the case with the Fries Standard conversion sitting on sticks in the corner of my living room, and that was one of the last Mitchells off the line, built in 1974.

Don't know about their 65-5perf line, but from what I can recall those were mostly just upscaled NC's. 

I have personally never hand-cranked a camera, but was once told by an olde-timer that you should mentally hum the "Addams Family" tune to keep time.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chris Burke said:

It has been discussed here not too long ago and if I recall, the camera in question is an early gen IMAX camera. 

To my understanding, many motion picture cameras can be modified to be hand cranked. For instance I have used an Arri IIc that was hand cranked. My Arri 35 3 can be modded to be hand cranked. Lots of fun using a camera that way and rather efficient for some kind of shots since you rarely reach 24fps hand cranking. It is usually a slower frame rate yielding a fast paced home movie look. 

Ah, I did look for a similar question but could not find!

2 hours ago, Steve Switaj said:

Supposedly, every Mitchell 35 ever made had an 8:1 shaft with an accessible D-spline that could be hand cranked.

I know for a fact that this is the case with the Fries Standard conversion sitting on sticks in the corner of my living room, and that was one of the last Mitchells off the line, built in 1974.

Don't know about their 65-5perf line, but from what I can recall those were mostly just upscaled NC's. 

I have personally never hand-cranked a camera, but was once told by an olde-timer that you should mentally hum the "Addams Family" tune to keep time.

Ok, I definitely need to know more about this Addams Family reference! Can you explain? I hand crank a lot! ?

5 hours ago, Steve Switaj said:

... was once told by an olde-timer that you should mentally hum the "Addams Family" tune to keep time.

And nooo ritardandos.. (Darth Vader voice, with gesticulating finger extended in gloved hand).