diffrent Lighting Technigues to us when filming at night

Hi my names Louis Harvey, i am a student at NTU ( Nottingham Trent university) , i am studying film and for my dissertation,  I am analysing different lighting techniques to decide which one is best to use. 

my question is any tips when using key lighting, practical lighting , bounce lighting, collour lighting and natural lighting how to get it right and look cinematic 

also when these lighting technique's are best to use and what you have learnt over your time as a filmmaker when trying to perfect these different looks. 

Hi Louis, Your question is extremely broad but generally speaking, I think the answer you'll find is that there is no "right" or single best technique to use.  It depends effect you're trying to achieve.  All of the lighting elements you mention will be used in different proportion according to the visual style of the project.  What works for one story doesn't necessarily work for another.  

That said, if you provide and an example or two of the looks that you would like to know more about  some of the pros on this site might be able to give you some more specific insight as to how they would approach something similar.  Good luck with your dissertation!

Bub...you need to test out all the options. Make a YT or Vimeo video on it. That way it helps you and others out. Or at least make a record of still photo setups to show you what you get. OK, you can't test out everything, but you still can test a lot.

In the old days they would shoot a scene a few days ahead with stand-ins to get the lighting just right. They just didn't 'swag' things.

Greta%20Garbo%20Camille%201936%20D.D.Teo

Greta Garbo 'Camille' 1936

DDTJRAC

• Premium Member

The question is too broad. Night allows different possible sources to be motivating light, whether moonlight or streetlamps or a campfire, etc. And this doesn't even cover artistic intent or narrative function, sometimes the script describes the source of light in the scene.

And I'd eliminate the use of the term "cinematic", it's too vague and personal so has no practical application.

good day to you brother and hope that you are doing fine and being safe. 

Yes it's very important to know theory.. but you won't understand the theories till they get practiced in front of you

My advice is you should attend a lot of shootings, be helpful, humble and hard worker. and then try  to find an experienced gaffer or DP and ask them all the questions you want, but of course you need to find the right time to ask them, and don't get offended if they refused to answer you, excuse them. at the end of the day it's not their job to educate you, but it's your duty to keep trying to learn for them

also I guess a lot of DPs in this forum are from England, contact them, perhaps they would allow you to attend their shootings

All the best!