Alcan 54 Single Speed.

Ruben Arce

I recently got an Alcan 54 motor for the Eclair NPR. The motor needs to be inspected for sure since it sometimes reaches sync speed and a lot of times it doesn't. I'm posting this hoping someone has ever seen a motor like the one I got. This specific motor is indeed an Alcan 54, but it doesn't have the toggle switch or the speed selector that other motors that I have found online have. There is nothing on this motor. It can be switched between 24 and 25fps using the screw on the front, but nothing else. There is no light to indicate if the motor reached or lost sync speed. Has anyone looked something like this?

IMG_1863.JPG

• Premium Member

Yeah you're missing the entire set of stuff on the end of the sloped-edge cap there.  I wonder if that was some "clever" modification someone did during its long life?  Mine does't have the fuse legend on the bottom plate, nor do I actually see a fuse anywhere.

Does it have the normal run/stop switch and remote jack on the other side?

Duncan

Yeah, I looked at your pictures and the motor looks different. At this point I just ruled it's an early version not even called Alcan 54. As you can see there is no Alcan 54 legend or serial number on the side. It may have been a prototype. I don't think it is crystal sync neither. The motor needs to be serviced, but tested with a stroboscope the speed seems to vary a lot, just like a wild motor. The fact that there is no light indicator just proves that.

It's a good addition to my gear regardless. I'll try to have a technician take a look at it and prove my hypothesis.

IMG_1868.jpg

• Premium Member

Yeah, early/prototype version seems like the best guess at this point.  Made by Aaton before they came up with the name "Alcan" - too bad Jean-Pierre isn't around to ask any more, but I wonder if some long-timer at Aaton might remember?   Looks like they'd already settled on the "54" part of the name - anyone ever figure out the significance of that?  54mm long?  54g in weight?  How about "Alcan"

Duncan

• Like 1

Indeed, it looks like an early model, and perhaps a prototype (P0065 ref.).  Obviously it does not have the variable speed, just the 24/25 fps option.  Maybe it was designed as a single-speed cheaper model? Aaton were always coming out with new things, experimenting, tweaking, etc., and not everything made it into production.  If somebody else (than Aaton engineers) modified it, they certainly seem to know what they were doing (very clean casing).

The motor is most certainly supposed to be crystal-synched.  Aaton would not have bothered to make a wild motor that late in the game.  Have you tried both speeds (by switching the screw next to the 24/25 engravings) ? Maybe one of them works.  Their early LTR motors had the same screw system to set the crystal-synch speed.

Regarding the name, I always thought it meant the motor went up to 54 fps (like the LTR 54), but obviously that's not the case.  As for 'ALCAN', that's an Eclair denomination, like BEALA (which stands for BEAviaLA, I believe), but I can't figure it out, except for the A of Aaton.  

Aatached, some info froma brochure I found somewhere onthe web:

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 20.22.34.jpg

On 4/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, Boris Belay said:

Maybe it was designed as a single-speed cheaper model? Aaton were always coming out with new things, experimenting, tweaking, etc

Yes, it looks like the parts were made for the motor, not like someone was tweaking the motor. I opened it and the electronics were painted. Yes, all the electronics were painted in orange. It looks like they didn't want people to see the comopnents.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, Boris Belay said:

supposed to be crystal-synched.  Aaton would not have bothered to make a wild motor that late in the game.  Have you tried both speeds

I did try it at 25fps, and the result was the same. I think the motor was supposed to be crystal sync too. I can hear a noise when the motor loses speed. I think the motor needs to be lubricated.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I should get a non-working Alcan motor later this Summer and can check if I can figure anything out about the electronics.

or if it would be possible for me to make simple replacement crystal controller for it which would not be overly expensive and would enable restoring these motors back to working condition by replacing all the other electronics than the motor itself. Might be possible if at least 3 could be sold. Will see when it arrives

On 6/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, aapo lettinen said:

if it would be possible for me to make simple replacement crystal controller for it which would not be overly expensive and would enable restoring these motors back to working condition

That would be great Aapo, As an Alcan owner I would appreciate that. I read somewhere that you have a Perfectone motor. Have you tried to modify those? The Perfectone (Siblo I guess) is a more common motor.

• Premium Member
On 7/4/2023 at 9:28 PM, Ruben Arce said:

That would be great Aapo, As an Alcan owner I would appreciate that. I read somewhere that you have a Perfectone motor. Have you tried to modify those? The Perfectone (Siblo I guess) is a more common motor.

the only NPR motor I had previously was the 220V 50Hz 3 phase motor.

The non-working Alcan arrived today, it has mold damage but I am sure I can figure out something for it later this Autumn ?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Aapo - did you make any progress on the Alcan motor?  I have an early one that only runs at a very slow speed, but stops with mirror in correct position. It's very much like the crystal speed is not working, and the 3fps speed is kicked in. It's a nice compact motor, but it would be great to put a new crystal speed controller in (I'd really only need 24fps).

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, John Krawlzik said:

Aapo - did you make any progress on the Alcan motor?  I have an early one that only runs at a very slow speed, but stops with mirror in correct position. It's very much like the crystal speed is not working, and the 3fps speed is kicked in. It's a nice compact motor, but it would be great to put a new crystal speed controller in (I'd really only need 24fps).

No, i didnt have time to work on it and sold it to fund other projects. No idea how and it you motor could be repaired.

I am likely making a batch of 24+25fps compact crystal motors this year, it is possible to order one if it is ok that it is paid for in Spring and you will get the motor in November with the prototype ready after Summer. Will have to move around June so cant finish the outer looks of the motor before it but need budget for the custom motor drives and other parts in April latest. Price is around 1200usd +shipping and will need 3 or more orders to be able to make it