Kowa 16H on Angenieux 12-120 T2.2 for anamorphic filming on Arriflex 16BL

Diego Collado

Hi all,

Has anyone tried getting a Kowa 16H or something like a Sankor 16-D or similar on the Angenieux zoom for anamorphic filming on Standard 16mm with the 16BL? Although I like the frame size of Standard 16, I'd really like to get that wide image for a short I'm preparing and given the limited budget of our production, I'm inclined to keep using the 16BL I own (which isn't the most practical solution, but it's also fun to experiment!). I also have a few Schneider primes that are S-mount, but if it could work with the zoom lens, that'd be great.

Would it work at all? Viewfinder-wise, I'm building a small light-weight video out with a microscope lens, but I haven't gotten a low-latency de-squeezable feed out of it yet (I'm getting quite close, though).

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Diego Collado

The rear element is about 50mm. in diameter IIRC (I sold my 8Z, which is very similar some years ago) and it's nowhere near big enough to cover the 12-120 at any practical focal length without vignetting. I doubt it would cover any of the BL- mount primes either.

I don't know about alternatives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

The rear element is about 50mm. in diameter IIRC (I sold my 8Z, which is very similar some years ago) and it's nowhere near big enough to cover the 12-120 at any practical focal length without vignetting. I doubt it would cover any of the BL- mount primes either.

I don't know about alternatives.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I will keep that in mind when looking for other adapters. I have my eyes on an Isco Ultra Star from eBay. If I end up getting it, I will give it a go and post results here. Thanks again!

20 hours ago, Diego Collado said:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I will keep that in mind when looking for other adapters. I have my eyes on an Isco Ultra Star from eBay. If I end up getting it, I will give it a go and post results here. Thanks again!

I remember some Isco anamorphics with large rear elements from years ago. As you probably realise it's a critical measurement.

I don't know what you're after but the ISco Ultra Stars I see mostly appear to be projector lenses, which wouldn't have a large rear element (or a focussing helicoid unless it's been rehoused). So watch out for that.

Edited by Mark Dunn

The only zoom lenses I ever managed to adapt for the old front-mounted anamorphic lenses (such as the Kowa 8Z) were the Bolex Compacts, Som Berthiot and Switar.  Anything with a larger front element gave vignetting. Even with these lenses it was necessary to restrict zooming to 24 mm or longer, on regular-16.   It's also important to keep the gap between front element and rear of anamorphic as short as possible, and light-tight, using a separate bracket or mount.  However, I got good sharp results using these small zooms.