Aaton XTR Plus monitor issue

David Roberson

When looking through the viewfinder the image is centered but the image shown on monitors is not centered. 

Ive tried to adjust it by moving the viewing screen as well moving the Allen screw for the beam splitter axis adjustment.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-26 at 15.46.52.jpeg

• Premium Member

First you have to make sure on the camera, everything is in the Super16 position: The PL mount, The viewfinder (older Aatons had a shim to space it between Normal16 and Super16, I don't know if yours has one) and the ground glass (this should be done by a camera technician).

Then you can make sure your video tap is aligned properly. Depending on the video tap, the sensor PCB is mounted with screws on a tube that attaches to the relay lens. Some allow some adjustment to center the sensor.

The beam splitter has no effect how the image is centered. CORRECTION, the beam splitter should always be driven out completely and the turn the screw back a turn or two, like described in the Aaton manual)

If half of your things are centered Normal 16, and the other half Super 16, you end up with a mess. I suggest you send it to a camera technician.

Edited by David Sekanina

32 minutes ago, David Sekanina said:

First you have to make sure on the camera, everything is in the Super16 position: The PL mount, The viewfinder (older Aatons had a shim to space it between Normal16 and Super16, I don't know if yours has one) and the ground glass (this should be done by a camera technician).

Then you can make sure your video tap is aligned properly. Depending on the video tap, the sensor PCB is mounted with screws on a tube that attaches to the relay lens. Some allow some adjustment to center the sensor.

The beam splitter has no effect how the image is centered. CORRECTION, the beam splitter should always be driven out completely and the turn the screw back a turn or two, like described in the Aaton manual)

If half of your things are centered Normal 16, and the other half Super 16, you end up with a mess. I suggest you send it to a camera technician.

So a few weeks ago the eye piece was jammed so hard and I took it to a technician. It was only released after using a soft mallet -- but I'm wondering if the impact affected the video assist. It seems like what you are referring to in terms of the beam splitter may have to do with this? 

1.jpg

• Premium Member

Correct, that's the text I was referring to. Your misalignment is so big, it shouldn't be adjusted with the beam splitter, but the sensor itself (or the ground glass, if it's in the wrong position). You're potentially chasing multiple misalignments. First make sure the camera is set correctly, secondly tackle the video tap alignment.

Edited by David Sekanina

13 minutes ago, David Sekanina said:

Correct, that's the text I was referring to. Your misalignment is so big, it shouldn't be adjusted with the beam splitter, but the senor itself (or the ground glass, if it's in the wrong position). You're potentially chasing multiple misalignments. First make sure the camera is set correctly, secondly tackle the video tap alignment.

First of all, thank you so much for answering my questions David. It was set to super 16 a while back when I first received the camera and I haven't had a problem like this. I moved the ground glass and the image I get through the viewfinder is centered. The Lens port was never touched so it should still be in super 16 and I tested it with a zoom lens and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I've managed to move it a bit more to the center but still not exactly where it should be. 

IMG_2259.heic

• Premium Member

If the image is centered properly in the viewfinder, then it's the tap. 

I assume it's an HD tap. Usually what happens is that they use a 3D printed housing for the lens, rather than the stock one. This means, it's very temperamental about centering. You kinda have to take the housing off and unscrew the locking nut and move it around to get it centered. I've had very little luck on SOME of the aftermarket HD taps, we kinda do the best we can do. I know it kills ya, but you MAY not be able to do much about it. The accuracy you get with the stock tap, is just not present in the aftermarkets.