Copying a Music Video

Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming project I'm gaffing and we need to recreate that video clip:

https://youtu.be/4-43lLKaqBQ

How would you approach the lighting?

I thought using big fresnel light far away, maybe through a light 4*4 diffusion, and using a lot of cutters to shape the light.

Any ideas or recommendations will be appreciated ?

• Premium Member

I would say you don't need the diffusion at all if you want the sharply defined shadows. 

This is pretty typical of television overhead grid lighting with small Fresnel lights of 750 to 2K watts;  you have multiple light sources here, not just a few.

• Premium Member

It's all hard lit with multiple tungsten fresnels with cutters, flags to top the light and separate areas. More or less the drummer and pianist are in one key, then the singers when they are forward are in a separate key. Backlights on everyone. No lighting diffusion.

5 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

It's all hard lit with multiple tungsten fresnels with cutters, flags to top the light and separate areas. More or less the drummer and pianist are in one key, then the singers when they are forward are in a separate key. Backlights on everyone. No lighting diffusion.

Thank you for the reply! 

Would you rather use fresnels like they did, or use newer light like LED's?

9 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

I would say you don't need the diffusion at all if you want the sharply defined shadows. 

This is pretty typical of television overhead grid lighting with small Fresnel lights of 750 to 2K watts;  you have multiple light sources here, not just a few.

Thank you!!