Rigging a Camera for Handheld Operation under Rain

Hello - in early September I will be filming an all-night fight sequence between 2 characters, where the scene takes place under a rain rig (most likely, two small rain towers).

We are going for a handheld look - not too shaky but just to give it a little energy. Typically, I would use an Easyrig for this but I'm not sure the best way to rig my camera well for operation under these circumstances to keep the camera safe and lens clean.

I suppose I could just bag the camera and put a hole for the Easyrig cable to come through, and cinch it well with rubber bands around the cable, but I'm worried about water coming through.

Thankfully, I will have a focus puller doing their thing wirelessly so I won't have to worry about that.

If anyone has any tips for this kind of situation, I would greatly appreciate your input!

• Premium Member

Why not use an Ergo Rig instead of an easy-rig, if you're shoulder mount then you wouldn't need a hole. Also there are tons of rain jackets out there for differing cameras. I would use one of those and then bag over if needed.

You can also look into rain-deflectors to put on the front of the lens to keep it drop free.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:43 AM, Nicholas LaRovere said:

Hello - in early September I will be filming an all-night fight sequence between 2 characters, where the scene takes place under a rain rig (most likely, two small rain towers).

We are going for a handheld look - not too shaky but just to give it a little energy. Typically, I would use an Easyrig for this but I'm not sure the best way to rig my camera well for operation under these circumstances to keep the camera safe and lens clean.

I suppose I could just bag the camera and put a hole for the Easyrig cable to come through, and cinch it well with rubber bands around the cable, but I'm worried about water coming through.

Thankfully, I will have a focus puller doing their thing wirelessly so I won't have to worry about that.

If anyone has any tips for this kind of situation, I would greatly appreciate your input!

You can still use an easyrig- just get a bag-it big enough for both you and the camera, wear it like a poncho and just cut a hole and tape the matte box. ACs will probably have to refresh the tape and it’ll get a little humid inside but you’ll both stay dry.