Help with old film test - FUJI ETERNA VIVID 160

• Premium Member

I have managed to get some 35mm Fujifilm Eterna Vivid 160 (8543) supposedly well refrigerated and stored. I will be doing soon a proper test but i would like to know what things should i be aware off and what things should i test. I will be doing exterior and interior test with tungsten and daylight and sub and over exposing the film from -3 up to +3, and also using a color chart.

What else could i try to have a rigorous test?

I have also read the problems of getting rid off the remjet during fujifilm processing but this is another chapter. I will be sharing here the results after the test! Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a 'freewheeling' test roll of 16mm Fuji Eterna 250D I shot back in late-2018. I reckoned this stock was about 5-7 years old at the time of filming this test so I just metered it mostly normally and just overexposed it a bit in-camera here and there for some shots.

I processed it myself normally and didn't have any remjet issues.

I used the rest of this batch of Fuji Eterna to make a film in 2019, which I contact printed onto 16mm 3383 and everything came out nicely.

Seeing that the last Eterna stocks were rolled out by Fuji in 2013, I'm guessing your stock is atleast a decade old. I think some people on this forum suggested overexposing by 1 stop per decade?

I would probably do two test rolls:

1- rate the stock at box speed for the -3 to +3 exposure tests and process normally.

2-rate the stock at box speed for the -3 to +3 exposure tests and push process +1.

If possible, please share your results with us when you have them.

Also, more recently, a friend shot some Fuji Super F 250T and had remjet issues. This predates the Eterna stocks and was probably about 20 years in a freezer. Might be worth giving a heads-up to your lab before you send these in.

• 2 weeks later...