Future of Super 8

Tim Kirk

as a tafe assingment i have chosen to do a documentary on 8mm filming. the theme being is it dead or alive. my research suggests that there is a future for this format. but id like any oppinions you might have about this subject.

also if you have any other information or links to sites that have any history of film information that would be awesome.

cheers a bundle.

Tim Kirk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a tafe assingment i have chosen to do a documentary on 8mm filming. the theme being is it dead or alive. my research suggests that there is a future for this format. but id like any oppinions you might have about this subject.

also if you have any other information or links to sites that have any history of film information that would be awesome.

cheers a bundle.

Tim Kirk

Alive and getting better! :D

The proof?

* Three new stocks from Kodak (including two of their premium negative stocks), with possibly more coming.

* The repatriation of Super 8 manufacturing to Rochester (should be complete by the end of the year).

* Two new magazines devoted to Super 8 ("Super 8 Today" and "Smallformat")

* Super 8 short film selected for Cannes ("The Man Who Met Himself")

For more links and info, go to www.filmshooting.com and check out the forums.

All the best,

Dave

• Premium Member

cheers a bundle.

Tim Kirk

Kodak certainly still sees a viable business case for Super-8 film production. Otherwise, they wouldn't be investing in moving Super-8 finishing and packaging back to the USA from the Kodak manufacturing facility in Chalon-sur-Saone France.

http://www.kodak.com/go/super8

Guest santo
short term, try the fuji velvia. Long term, the 7201 should do the trick.

He's a projectionist, Alex. That's his thing. The 7201 negative would do him no good, would it?

• Premium Member
He's a projectionist, Alex. That's his thing. The 7201 negative would do him no good, would it?

A Super-8 Print from the 7201 negative would look fine.

Isn't Velvia a reversal stock? I haven't finished my first cartridge yet but I assumed it was reversal.

Guest santo
A Super-8 Print from the 7201 negative would look fine.

Isn't Velvia a reversal stock? I haven't finished my first cartridge yet but I assumed it was reversal.

You are truly amazing, Alex. I guess these two statements are meant as jokes?

I would lilke to see more Super 8 printing available in the states. I know that digital projection and Super 8 go rather well together. I just think that Super 8 prints could do rather well at festivals, a niche if you would.

chris

Guest santo
I would lilke to see more Super 8 printing available in the states. I know that digital projection and Super 8 go rather well together. I just think that Super 8 prints could do rather well at festivals, a niche if you would.

chris

Which festivals are those? Nobody accepts super 8 prints at any real festivals, and they never will.

Guest santo

cheers a bundle.

Tim Kirk

Super 8 has literally leaped out of the tomb and, like Christopher Lee in the Hammer version of THE MUMMY, it is marching ahead and destroying all doubters in its path. It was recently seen dancing on the stages of Cannes and Sundance this past year, and on the awards podium as the filmmaking tool for collecting armfuls of awards for art house filmmakers like Guy Maddin. Meanwhile, a dozen pro grade telecine shops have sprung up to support it, 3 or 4 places load their own super 8 cartridges and are small time manufactures of the format, and its inventor, Kodak, realizes there's a good decade plus of life in "the little format that could" and is investing money in new manufacturing equipment for it and believes in its future as John points out.

Most of this has to to with the fact that pro-grade telecine to professional video formats are now readily available unlike only a few years ago, and modern negative filmstocks introduced in the past two years or so that enable serious super 8 filmmaking, ensures more and more of it will be seen as a stupendous short filmmaking origination medium.

In short, anybody who tells you super 8 has an uncertain future and they'd never invest in equipment or take it seriously, has their head up their ass.

Which festivals are those? Nobody accepts super 8 prints at any real festivals, and they never will.

A short list off the top of my head:

The $100 Film Festival in Calgary (film only, either 16 or s8).

Images Festival in Toronto has a few all super 8 (print) nights.

Splice This! in Toronto, though they will accept video as well.

The Super 8 Circus in Toronto, all super 8 film prints, and nothing but.

I know Santo is going to say these aren't "real" festivals, but who listens to Santo? Anyone?

People need to know there are opportunities to show super 8 prints, and more than I have outlined here. On Global Super 8 day there are dozens of screenings around the world showing super 8 prints, including here in Toronto at the National Film Board Mediatheque.

Rick

Guest santo
I know Santo is going to say these aren't "real" festivals, but who listens to Santo? Anyone?

Anybody who can deal with reality, truth, and facts -- and a cold bucket of water on their head to wake them up?

cheers a bundle.

Tim Kirk

Tim

Check out www.friendlyfirefilms.ca

It has information about a feature I made on super 8.

A good website is www.onsuper8.org.

Rick

cheers guys thats awesome. stunned that it took only three posts to change the subject but it got back.

thanks again but some of you i wanted your oppnions not for you to argue amongst your selves.

what about in australia? any thing happening there?

Guest santo
No.

"(He) sweats to death, and lards the lean earth as he walks along.

Were't not for laughing, I should pity him." Henry IV

Tim

Nice post, Tim. Better than your threats. I won't report this one.

I'll be at Le Loft at Cannes this year during most evenings of the festival. Walk in and shout out "Santo" and I'll buy you a beer and discuss your future.

(edit) Oh, so I see you were banned from this forum due to your whacko threats and have to post under a different name. Forget about my offer.

cheers guys thats awesome. stunned that it took only three posts to change the subject but it got back.

thanks again but some of you i wanted your oppnions not for you to argue amongst your selves.

what about in australia? any thing happening there?

Australia has a terrific film scene, leading the way intitially in 16mm to HD transfer based features. Unfortunately, the super 8 scene is behind the times with regard to neg transfers and availability of processing.

I think it should be made very clear that the future of super 8 does not, in any way, shape or form rest in the hands of hobby shooters who film with Japanese home movie cameras in reversal and do transfers with camcorders from converted projectors. There was a last gasp transitional phase that occured with the Cannes film this past year which was shot on a Canon using K40, but that was of course properly professionally transfered on a real telecine.

The way of the future in super 8 is crystal clear. It is on negative with some forays into Plus-X/Tri-X when it fits, shot with Beaulieus and a few Leicina Specials (the only two professional design super 8 cameras), and transfered uncompressed direct to hard drive on Thompsons and the latest updated Ranks, and finished on digiBeta or HD. Anything else is a joke. That's the way it is.

• Premium Member
Australia has a terrific film scene, leading the way intitially in 16mm to HD transfer based features. Unfortunately, the super 8 scene is behind the times with regard to neg transfers and availability of processing.

I think it should be made very clear that the future of super 8 does not, in any way, shape or form rest in the hands of hobby shooters who film with Japanese home movie cameras in reversal and do transfers with camcorders from converted projectors. There was a last gasp transitional phase that occured with the Cannes film this past year which was shot on a Canon using K40, but that was of course properly professionally transfered on a real telecine.

The way of the future in super 8 is crystal clear. It is on negative with some forays into Plus-X/Tri-X when it fits, shot with Beaulieus and a few Leicina Specials (the only two professional design super 8 cameras), and transfered uncompressed direct to hard drive on Thompsons and the latest updated Ranks, and finished on digiBeta or HD. Anything else is a joke. That's the way it is.

Santo, in a previous post you scream out that Super-8 is riproaring alive and as evidence you mention that Super-8 was a finalist in the Cannes short film contest yet in the above quote you dis the very film stock (kodachrome reversal) and Super-8 Camera (a Canon "Japanese" camera) that was used by the Super-8 filmmaker at Cannes.

Oops.

----------------------------------------------

As for Velvia, I wouldn't be so quick to reject it as the ideal reversal film stock (if one knows when and how to shoot it) that can look like 16mm. In my opinion it would be more helpful for the forum if you quit stating YOUR opinion as a universal fact.

Oh, so I see you were banned from this forum due to your whacko threats and have to post under a different name.

Yeah, since I'm not a "sustaining member" I guess I don't have the juice to pay off the adminstrators everytime my feelings get hurt. Report what you want, little man.

Ironically, I may be going to Cannes as well this year, so I'll certainly be looking for you. I'll buy you the beer and then we'll definitely discuss YOUR future. ;)

Tim