Information about RED camera

Luke Haywood

Now since we are on the subject of pulling focus how can anybody expect me to pull focus on a high definition camera using an onboard LCD screen that resolves only standard definition? The typical reaction I get from the bosses is that I am the only one who has ever had a problem and if I can't do the job they will find someone who can. The only problem is that I need to earn a living and that guy who they end up hiring is not going to pay my bills so is it unreasonable to expect my bosses to provide me with a high definition onboard LCD screen ? I suppose I can always get another job but the problem is that former bosses end up complaining to the union and threaten to go non-union if the union continues to furnish companies with unqualified individuals.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not pull focus off a monitor no matter what the resolution. You're watching the image go OUT of focus, which means that you've just ruined the shot. It's more important to mark out the lens, take distance measurements and then do it off the dial. That's the proper way to pull -- any AC worth his stuff will not use a monitor for anything but reference cues. How can you expect to see accurate focus from a tiny screen no matter what the resolution?

• Premium Member

What Mitch said. How do you think 35mm film AC's pull focus? You have to know your depth of field for the lens and shot, and you have to be able to judge distance by eye after you measure it, in case your subject strays from the mark. Monitors are a reference for what the operator is framing, not for focus.

I do however think that HD monitors are essential for confirming backfocus, since there is rarely an optical viewfinder to confirm an eye focus. But this is only to confirm that the measurements are correct. After that, you pull focus "the old fashioned way."

I don't know what gear Thomas works with but in my experience, when pulling with 35mm adapters, I really agree with him. None of the distances, measured on the lens, are ever spot on or as marked and the difference changes between lenses. The adapters can be terrible like this and you have to check the focus on the ground glass regularly while no one is looking. Sometimes Ive put a lens back in the case because I just can't get it to focus. Pulling with the P + S on a HVX Ive found the HD split invaluable and since everything gets shot wide open theres a lot of chasing focus anyway. I haven't worked with any 2/3 inch HD imagers and on S16 I'll measure and mark it out but with the adapters there is a huge difference between having a onboard HD and SD LCD and it turns up in my work.

I know its a pretty specific example and a little off topic but I thought I'd just add my two cents to what Thomas was saying.

Sasha

On a properly setup Mini35 or Pro35 with lenses that are correctly collimated you should absolutely be able to rely on the marks on the lenses. Same goes for a MOVIEtube. I won't speak for the M2 and other such devices as I do not consider them professional pieces of kit.

• Premium Member
Hi John,

I don't have a do not hire list, I am a member of the local union.

I had a new local 1 AC, we needed 100 takes to get focus for 1 shot, should I use him again on a complex job?

Stephen

Of course you should use your experience with people in deciding who to hire. It's when a third party tries to influence you and all other potential employers not to hire certain people that the Union, I think quite rightly, sees a problem. That's what they mean by a "do not hire" list.

-- J.S.

I won't speak for the M2 and other such devices as I do not consider them professional pieces of kit.

Ouch! harsh. Any reason you don't consider them professional Mitch? And please do not take this as a challenge, i've been in your store ;)

They are no professional because they are not designed and manufactured to what I would consider professional standards. They are just a step above home-brew hobby devices. A professional piece of equipment is something that is precisely made and can be relied upon in paid working situations.

I dunno, I've seen plenty of pieces of "professional" kit that are hopelessly poorly done...

Phil

... and cheap gear which outlasted "pro" equipment, i suppose.

(in the sound dept, they still have an atari st homecomputer as additional midi clock - it must be from the 80ties, and outlasted several rounds of equipment from alesis, protools, yamaha etc. and that the alesis)

Bloody hell....

Remember this from my first post here:

Reduser.net is sort of informative sometimes, but most of the people posting there sound like they're on something!

I asked some questions about the RED there but my post seems to have disappeared, and reading about reduser on other forums, indicates this is not unusual! This forum obviousy has its share of Bozos too, but the difference is they don't seem to be in control of it (yet, although one character here seems to be trying hard :-)

Do I need further evidence, other than the sad array of closed threads here?

I think our Mr HVX200/HDW750/Arri2B plus-a-shelf-for-3 REDs von Krogh has finally burst an intercranial blood vessel.

On Reduser.net there was a reference to a deleted thread, started by somebody asking pointed questions about the RED delivery - at least here, all they do is close off the thread, none of this "Ministry of Truth" nonsense.

All this tends reaffirm my theory that the real reason for the vehemence of many of the REDheads is simply that they want to invest a lot of someone else's money in the cameras, or they want to be in charge of the "REDification" of their organization or whatever, and they're worried that the people making the actual financial decisions might hear the "wrong" information :lol:

It all rather reminds me of the famous "Marge vs the Monorail" episode of the Simpsons, which lampoons the actions of many moribund Municipal officials, who have latched onto the notion that a Monorail is a cool and trendy idea which will somehow revitalize their city, (and hopefully direct attention away from their managerial shortcomings). Virtually without exception, these installations have been a disaster, generally unwanted and/or hated by the residents, and ignored by the tourists.

Replace "Monorail" with "digital" and that pretty well sums up the position of a lot of companies over the years!

I realize we aren't talking about the RED camera itself, which is just a machine, hopefully above all such human intrigues, but I think this may provide an explanation for the peculiar behaviour of some of the posters here.

Just my 2p worth...

• Premium Member
Oh bugger. I've been out visiting and missed all the excitement!

I think the art of posting here is to get in the last word just offensively enough so that Stephen closes the thread, so they can't answer back :lol:

Can't wait for Friday....

Hi Carl,

That won't work, if somebody really needs to reply to a closed thread, arrangements can be made.

Stephen

• Premium Member
That won't work, if somebody really needs to reply to a closed thread, arrangements can be made.

Ah I did think I saw something like that recently. At least I know it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me. ;)

On Reduser.net there was a reference to a deleted thread, started by somebody asking pointed questions about the RED delivery - at least here, all they do is close off the thread, none of this "Ministry of Truth" nonsense.

Funny, I'm pretty sure a whole thread here was deleted TODAY, unless I'm losing my mind.

From the forum guidelines:

We reserve the right to edit or remove any content on these forums that we deem inappropriate with or without forewarning. We will try to give fair warning when we can, but it is not always feasible to do so.

May I ask why fair warning was not given in this case?

R.

• Premium Member
Funny, I'm pretty sure a whole thread here was deleted TODAY, unless I'm losing my mind.

From the forum guidelines:

May I ask why fair warning was not given in this case?

R.

Hi Ruairi,

I deleted a short thread that had no possible benefit to anybody including the writer, a longer & more 'interesting thread' was removed I believe by the owner of the site. I wish I had saved a copy, I have never seen anything like it here!

Stephen

And do you defend this forum when almost everyone looking to start something on Reduser uses this forum as a punching bag. No you don't. Afraid you might be ostracized. Stay over there then have a blast and save us from your sensitive feelings.

It's not my responsibility to moderate any forum. I have on occasion defended C.com as well as standing up for individuals getting ostracized on REDuser.net I even posted a rant against "Jumping to conclusions about motivations" 2 weeks ago. But you wouldn't know because despite all the poopooing about REDuser.net you just read the most active topic (usually the most useless according to Gavin's Law of Internet Forum Topic Usefullness: Quality of posts is in an inverse proportion to number of posts (One of those laws whose name is longer than the actual law itself)) decide everyone who is on the forum is congradulating Jim Jannard on his ePenis and imagining all the ways their talents and pocket books will explode by even being in proximity to a Red Camera and then return here to make overaching statements about the professional demeanor and honesty of anyone who posts there.

On behalf of everyone whose sensitive feelings have been hurt by the unprofessional character assaults on thousands of individuals some of whom are talented, dedicated and respectable: fu** you.

I apologize if thise closes the thread but it needed to be done.

• 2 weeks later...
They are no professional because they are not designed and manufactured to what I would consider professional standards. They are just a step above home-brew hobby devices. A professional piece of equipment is something that is precisely made and can be relied upon in paid working situations.

I can see your point but I think there are a few that are actually manufactured. As a whole I think 35mm adapters will become obsolete with the advent of red, and where I think Canon and some of the other big boy's might go with their CMOS based cameras so that eventually the money invested in any of them 35mm adapters will be comparable to a camera with interchangeable lenses anyway. I have however seen quite a few music vid's airing on MTV and the like that were shot with the M2, and had I not known I would've never guessed.