New Canon 814 is here!

Chris Cottrill

• Premium Member

Pro8mm has just released completely refurbished Canon 814 cameras, which are the nearest thing to new we will ever see. The price is a very reasonable $795. The cameras are adjusted to take advantage of all film stock speeds and thicker negative emulsions.

Quote from Pro8mm

"The Pro814 Camera Package is available for $795.00 and includes the Pro814 Camera,

Pelican Camera Case, 2- Meter Batteries, Filter Step-Up to 77mm ,Metal Lens cap (77MM), 85 A Filter (77MM)."

To order one call them at 818-848-5522 as I don't believe it's on their website yet.

The price is a very reasonable $795.

I have to admit to doing a double take at this line. If it was a crystal converted 814XL-s for that price I would agree, that would be reasonable. In the MOS world for $800 its possible to get one's hands on a half decient Arri S or a Bolex, not serviced of course but still . . .

I have to admit to doing a double take at this line. If it was a crystal converted 814XL-s for that price I would agree, that would be reasonable. In the MOS world for $800 its possible to get one's hands on a half decient Arri S or a Bolex, not serviced of course but still . . .

I'm with you. This "new" camera is actually closer to $900 with tax. I think I'll stick to my trusty Nizo S800, my trusty Zeiss Ikon Moviflex MS8, and my trusty Canon 518 AZ--all of which cost me less than $400 combined.

Victor

So that's where all the 814XL-S cameras have been going. I wonder how many of these they have lying about?

My Ebay 814XL-S was under $300. Sent it to Bernie at Super16Inc and he cleaned and lubed it as well as new foam seals for under $200. Total - $500 or so and, don't the 814XL-S, it's big brother, and all other upper line Canon cameras already handle all ASA ratings you can throw at it? According to the Wiki, it handles everything.

NOTE: I just saw that this is actually the 814AZ, not the XL-S. That puts it out of my range for sure. My 814AZ ran me $120 and ran perfect. In fact, I bet most 814AZs are running pretty good if they were halfway maintained. Those are tough cameras. As for recalibration, not sure hiow they would calibrate for a single ASA, like 64, without fiddling with the rest of the ASA range.

Sean

Edited by Sean McHenry

Hi Chris, is the phrase "completely refurbished" an accurate assessment?

Not with Con8mm it isn't.

Does anyone know if Pro8mm actually pays for the 'film ends' they use to fill S8 Carts? I would imagine that they just cut off the ends of 16&35mm Film Reels sent to them for developing -- without even asking permission. No filmmaker is going to miss the unexposed end of a Film Reel having been cut off, and Pro8mm can then split and sell each 50ft of 35mm as three S8 Carts for $90 bucks. That's pretty good profit when you get the film for free. They probably bought these 'refurbished' Canon Cameras for $10 or $20.

I would imagine that they just cut off the ends of 16&35mm Film Reels sent to them for developing -- without even asking permission. No filmmaker is going to miss the unexposed end of a Film Reel having been cut off, and Pro8mm can then split and sell each 50ft of 35mm as three S8 Carts for $90 bucks. That's pretty good profit when you get the film for free. They probably bought these 'refurbished' Canon Cameras for $10 or $20.

Maybe you miss-typed, or maybe you are confused, but your assertion makes no sense at all. I'd say ALL filmmakers are going to miss 50 feet off of 400ft or 100ft load!!! and then wouldn't all those double exposures look interesting. . . . also they don't process 35. I wonder if you think people don't short end or something like that.

I think we should be critical of a lab when they make a mistake or do something unethical. Further, I'm not a pro8mm booster at all, but I have seen many absurd claims made against pro8mm, this being one of the better examples. Catagorically no, no lab does what your above post suggests, PERIOD. It is impossible!

• Premium Member
Hi Chris, is the phrase "completely refurbished" an accurate assessment?

Well... the press release says this, "Pro8mm introduces the Pro814, a newly rebuilt, recalibrated super 8 camera, modified to optimize the results of modern film stocks." So I guess you have to decide for yourself how much is refurbished.

I think Pro8mm is pretty smart and they see a market out there for this camera. For proficient eBayers I'm sure one can find a better deal on the internet. But for a wedding videographer who wants to add Super-8 to their services, or a film school that would like to get back into real filmmaking on the introductory level, this camera is priced right. Business people and schools, especially if they need several cameras of the same model, don't have the time to shop eBay item for item, hoping for the great buy now and then and having to confront the not-so-great-buys that also happen. I assume this camera comes with a warranty, and that would be a big plus too.

If this camera gets a few schools and other people filming Super-8 again, or for the first time, then it will be a success on several levels, and that's why I'm pretty excited about it.

Chris naturally makes a good point. I agree. It makes sense that if someone wanted more than one and was more than a hobbyist, he would want to single source through a company that would hold responsibility for it's product, much like any rental house.

I just wish it had been another company that more of a majority of film people got along with. If their customer service is better on their cameras then it might be a good deal. I have heard the smiling faces on the other end of the long distance phone line - but then again I am still arguing with said company about my damaged film, months later, and without resolve.

But for the record, I see Chris's point and it's a good one.

Sean

• Premium Member
Well... the press release says this, "Pro8mm introduces the Pro814, a newly rebuilt, recalibrated super 8 camera, modified to optimize the results of modern film stocks." So I guess you have to decide for yourself how much is refurbished.

I think Pro8mm is pretty smart and they see a market out there for this camera. For proficient eBayers I'm sure one can find a better deal on the internet. But for a wedding videographer who wants to add Super-8 to their services, or a film school that would like to get back into real filmmaking on the introductory level, this camera is priced right. Business people and schools, especially if they need several cameras of the same model, don't have the time to shop eBay item for item, hoping for the great buy now and then and having to confront the not-so-great-buys that also happen. I assume this camera comes with a warranty, and that would be a big plus too.

If this camera gets a few schools and other people filming Super-8 again, or for the first time, then it will be a success on several levels, and that's why I'm pretty excited about it.

"Newly Rebuilt", just what does that mean?

the phrase "completely refurbished" in my opinion would require testing the lens for back focus and recalibrating the lens if necessary, cleaning and then lubricating all of the internal motors, checking for steady and consistent voltage flow throughout the camera, and shooting an actual film test for each and every camera that is being sold. Hopefully, also included would be the camera's light meter being modifed to run off of the main battery supply.

I do agree with you that the marketing aspect of the camera as being a reliable camera for the consumer markets you describe is a good idea.