Upgrade reg 16 to super 16

Frederic

Hi,

I need to upgrade my aaton LTR from reg 16 to super 16. The aaton manual don't explain it really well. I change the screw on the mount. But I don't see the screw to shift the ground glass 1mm, and I don't understand what means to change the viewfinder. If someone can explain me please...

Thanks guys.

• Premium Member

Do you have an LTR that has been upgraded to Super 16? What is the serial number of your camera, it should be C followed by three numbers, like C595 or something like that? Does it have a Super 16 gate in it? Most of the Aatons LTR's that I have seen that have been converted to Super 16 have the Super 16 black gate in them, does yours have that? And does the camera have the Super 16 ground glass or fibre optics screen in it?

From what you briefly describe, I would guess your camera has not been converted to Super 16. Once it has been converted, you can change back and forth from Super 16 to regular 16, but the camera must be converted first.

Make sense?

-Tim

• Premium Member
Hi,

I need to upgrade my aaton LTR from reg 16 to super 16. The aaton manual don't explain it really well. I change the screw on the mount. But I don't see the screw to shift the ground glass 1mm, and I don't understand what means to change the viewfinder. If someone can explain me please...

Thanks guys.

There are three things you need to change....4 if you have a video split.

The lens mount itself is usually rotated 180deg and re-attched. It really helps to have a depth gauge here. You'll find some plastic or metal shims under the mount and they don't always sit the same when you change the mount.

You shift the Ground Glass over. There's a small flat head when you look directly into the lens mount from the front that holds the grough glass in place. You only need to loosen it a turn or two.

There are 4 screws that mount the handle and viewfinder to the top of the body. Undo these and there's usually a spacer that you swap to the other side. I think there is a red dot that's revealed when you are in super 16.

And that's it.

best that you go to a camera house to do it though. It can be tricky centering the mount (so zoom lenses track straight) and getting the flange depth...

I used to be able to do in less than 10 mins....

jb

From what you briefly describe, I would guess your camera has not been converted to Super 16. Once it has been converted, you can change back and forth from Super 16 to regular 16, but the camera must be converted first.

Make sense?

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes it make a lot of sense... my serial number is C166 and I think it's not been upgraded. I have the reg16 ground glass and I can't find the screw of the ground glass or the hole on the viewfinder. Where I can send my camera for the change? I live in Spain.

Edited by Frederic

• Premium Member
my serial number is C166 and I think it's not been upgraded. I have the reg16 ground glass and I can't find the screw of the ground glass or the hole on the viewfinder. Where I can send my camera for the change? I live in Spain.

Frederic,

I am not sure if your camera can be converted to Super 16, as from the serial number, it is a very early camera. But you may want to talk with Allan Giles at Camera Engineering in Great Britain, or even the Aaton Factory in France.

Allan's email address is:

camera.engineering@virgin.net

Best,

-Tim