Otoscope for camera work?

• Premium Member
And audio guy's ears?

Well, I dearly hope he cleaned them that morning! LOL

Medical grade lighted magnifying glass.

Yeah, but what would you use it for other than what Adrian has suggested already?

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

Dunno, but I'm sure it's one of those things which has not apparent use. . . till that one moment. . .

It's why I keep a doorstop in my tool-bag. . .you just never know what you can do with it! (tilting a high-hat for that little dutch angle, for example!)

Also, you can use your ASC Manual as a wonderful "height adjuster" for SR3 shots on the ground. . .

• Premium Member
Otoscopes are used by ACs to check the gate. You use them mostly on 16mm cameras since the gate is so small. For 35mm a normal flashlight works as well.

Ah finally someone who seems to use one regularly or sees it being used. And so close to home! Vielen Dank Camillo! Can you recommend a specific brand? Or a shop here in Vienna? Since I'm a little on the shortsighted side that would come in handy with my Eclair NPR!

Cheers, Dave

Ah finally someone who seems to use one regularly or sees it being used. And so close to home! Vielen Dank Camillo! Can you recommend a specific brand? Or a shop here in Vienna? Since I'm a little on the shortsighted side that would come in handy with my Eclair NPR!

Cheers, Dave

You can usually buy them at camera rental places. Ask at Moviecam/F.G. Bauer or Arri Rental. Personally I use a flashlight and a magnifiing glass. On longer focal lengths you can do the gate check through the lens.

• Premium Member
You can usually buy them at camera rental places. Ask at Moviecam/F.G. Bauer or Arri Rental. Personally I use a flashlight and a magnifiing glass. On longer focal lengths you can do the gate check through the lens.

Yeah, but these places usually charge you quite a bit more than, say, a medical supply store would. I'll have a look around and ask a number of folks...

Cheers, Dave