An unrelenting crush on B&W 16mm

GeorgeSelinsky

• Premium Member
How about someone with a 35mm camera, even an Eyemo, shoot a 100ft roll of T-Max as an independent test so we could see if it would indeed make a great B+W movie stock?

I think the issue here would be, where are you going to get it developed? I've got access to an Arriflex 35mm camera, but I do not know of anyone who can process 100 ft of T-Max film with T-Max developers.

Best,

-Tim

Tim, that is one of the issues, but I would think that someone would have a processing tank (a Morse?) that could handle 100ft of 35mm... kinda like the chicken or the egg. Why go to the trouble to set up for T-Max development, if it is not a good choice for a film stock, or is it not a good choice because of the lack of development services? I for one love Plus-X in all its forms: reversal, negative and still film. One experience I had with still film was in attempting to create a negative with my Canon 35mm of an antique photo in a museum of an ancestor of mine. I tried on two occasions using T-Max 100 and never got what I was after. I shot it a 3rd time with Plus-X and it came out perfect, same lighting, camera and lens. I was very surprised.

I'll hapilly volutneer to process the stuff, not in my Morse tank though; they're abyssmal. I'll need to dig up a 100-foot spiral reel. I'll also provide the T-Max 400-II for test purposes.

I don't have a 35mm MP camera though, just a 16, so someone else will have to conduct the actual shooting portion of the test.

I'm pretty sure that a mid-50s high-speed film stock is going to get destroyed by a 2007 stock that they threw a million dollars into developing (no pun intended)

~KB

On those 100' rolls of 35mm, wouldn't any decent pro still photo lab be able to process? Obviously ask them not to cut the negs...

I'd like to think I AM a decent pro still photo lab. Labs cannot process 100 foot rolls except with special machinery, at least not without a lot of risk at having a lot of problems.

• Premium Member
I'd like to think I AM a decent pro still photo lab. Labs cannot process 100 foot rolls except with special machinery, at least not without a lot of risk at having a lot of problems.

Wasn't implying you weren't, didn't even know you had a lab. I know my local lab BWC here in Dallas would have no problem with it.

• Premium Member
Wasn't implying you weren't, didn't even know you had a lab. I know my local lab BWC here in Dallas would have no problem with it.

Will,

Your lab will process 100 feet of T-Max black and white film, using T-Max chemicals and the T-Max process? I didn't know of any lab that could or would do that.

Best,

-Tim

30,000' 7276 Plus X

30,000' 7374

and a heap load more of odd's and ends all in the fridge

the top two still develop fine after at least 20 years - going to try and keep it until its a rarity ;)

- shot on plus X neg ...

I love the Plus-X and the Tri-X, but my favorite right now is the Hi-Con (7363?) ASA 8. I'm sad that it's only a dual-perf film; I'd love to shoot that film in Super. I shot a few indoor scenes with a roll of that stuff, and way underestimated the light.....what came out was just highlights in a sea of black, the most amazing effect.

• Premium Member
Will,

Your lab will process 100 feet of T-Max black and white film, using T-Max chemicals and the T-Max process? I didn't know of any lab that could or would do that.

Best,

-Tim

I stand corrected, just talked to my lab. Because of the drying situation they can't do 100ft rolls. He however did say he was sure there was a lab in LA or he even said in Kansas (Dwaynes? That's the only lab I know there) that could although he couldn't think of the name at the time. I however do not say that it is possible as I opened my fat mouth without actually checking.

• Premium Member
I stand corrected, just talked to my lab. Because of the drying situation they can't do 100ft rolls. He however did say he was sure there was a lab in LA or he even said in Kansas (Dwaynes? That's the only lab I know there) that could although he couldn't think of the name at the time. I however do not say that it is possible as I opened my fat mouth without actually checking.

What you are describing is what my experience is as well. I have found many photo labs that use T-Max chemicals and use the T-Max process for T-Max Black & White films, but none of those labs could handle 100 ft rolls of film. And I have also found many motion picture labs that can handle 100 ft rolls of film, but none of them use the Black & White T-Max chemicals or T-Max process.

Would be interesting if someone found a lab that could do both.

Best,

-Tim