matte box for K3

Daniel Carruthers

I'l start looking into the screw on mattbox

but the thing is I already have a couple dozen 3x3 tiffen filters, is it possible to get a screw on mattbox that will take these filters

thanks

You lost me:

If you have dozens of 3X3 filters, why do you need a matte box?

In other words, you're talking about square Tiffen filters, right? Like the Cokin system? (Didn't even know and/or remember that Tiffen made the square filters.)

Do you now have a way to mount them to your lenses via a holder, and if so, what are your plans for the matte box then?

Edited by Ira Ratner

• Premium Member

The old ARRI lightweight matteboxes for SR2 take 3x3s. Perhaps one of those can be modified to suit your needs. They're not very expensive used on ebay. They take the lightweight rods that slid into the hotshoe-looking thing under the lens of an SR2.

• Premium Member
You lost me:

If you have dozens of 3X3 filters, why do you need a matte box?

In other words, you're talking about square Tiffen filters, right? Like the Cokin system? (Didn't even know and/or remember that Tiffen made the square filters.)

Do you now have a way to mount them to your lenses via a holder, and if so, what are your plans for the matte box then?

The matte box will hold the filters in place in front of the lens and Tiffen does make large format filters such as 3x3, 4x4, etc...

This is where I'm going to show my ignorance again:

I knew that a matte box can hold filters, but what does a matte box actually do in addition to this? Is it used mainly for its wings/flaps to control light?

If yes, I understand. If not, why not just the existing filter holder?

Ira

I like to have a mattebox because its easier to apply muiltiple filters with out vignetting

somtimes I'll shoot with 3 filters in a mattbox, and its just easier to slide out a filter holder rather than screwing on a circular filter, or replying the filter if the the weather keeps changing?

and yes a mattbox does help cut out lens flare,which is a bonus

and the reason why I have so many 3x3 filters is because they fit in our eclair npr mattbox and arri BL

thanks for all your replies I'll look into the sr2 mattbox

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking of building some sort of universal mount thing for some time now for the "soft"matte box I bought for my video setup some time back. This is a really lovely piece of gear that holds 4x4 filters and attaches directly to the front lens threads. naturally this is an issue for zooms where the front threads rotate with focus/zoom. Still, it is probably worth looking into as the boxes are so inexpensive and fold flat for packing into a nice soft case. Mine came with a large french flag setup, 2 filter holders and a few various adapter rings. My Matte Box is the Cinetactics unit you can find here:

http://www.cinetactics.com/StoreFront.bok

I love it on my Sony DVCam video camera and am still looking for the adapters for using it on my Bolex Rex1 and my K3 as well as the various 8mm and Super 8 cameras I have. Some sort of adjustable up/down, left/right flat plate with rods type mount that would hold it out in front of any lens would be a super idea for an accessory for these. I asked their Engineer about it at one time and he said if there were enough interest they would look into it. You might let these folks know you are interested.

I can find absolutly NO reason for a Matte box to run as much as they do, especially the Cokin. Stacking up a set of the Cokin lens hoods on their P mount might be a good start too but not sure if that would hold 3x3s.

Last option for super cheap is to look for the Lindhal Vignettters. They are essentially matte boxes with rail systems and use adapter rings to screw onto the front of lenses like the Cokins, etc. They too will rotate with focus, etc but the one I have here was under $50 from Ebay. The Lindhals and the adapter rings can still be found new on the B&H photo site.

Hope that helps. Anyone want to build some cheap universal mounts for these two boxes? I'll buy one. Last note, someone with a little time on their hands should easily be able to build a rigid french flag onto the front of a Cokin lens shade. Just another manufacturing thought.

Sean McHenry

Edited by Sean McHenry

Again, I just purchased a Lindahl Shade which was intended for a still camera, however, It can adapt to any size lens and even works on my giant Pan Cinor 70 with has a OD of 70mm+

Also they are cheap. I bought mine for $10 plus shipping on ebay. They also sell tiffen adapters for the filter slot. It has bellows and is light weight...great for lens mounted matte boxes...this was the one I purchased and I couldnt be happier with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290280453789

Hi Sean

that cinetactics fold up mattebox, does it have the option too rotate a filter?

like lets say I put in a 4x4 polorizor will I beable to rotate it.

Im really thinking about getting one of these it seems like a great tool,and its cheap:)

You can't smoothly rotate the filters but, and this is sort of interesting, the filter holders are held in with Velcro to the front of matte box. You can reposition the filters and rotate them but this is sort of the downfall of front mounted boxes. On my Bolex for example, if I change focus, the front assembly rotates. Bad news for a pol or other rotation sensitive filter, like grads.

If you treat your zooms like primes, that is pick a point and stick to it, less of an issue I suppose. Frankly I approached the Cinetactics folks about building some sort of universal stage that had a filter ring of say 82mm on it. Then it could float in front of the lens like a regular MB and not rotate when shifting focus or zoom. Seems simple enough, same as a rod system. In fact, if you can find a cheap rod system, maybe you could make up a way to attach their Motteblox to one.

S.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Danial,

Do you have a rod system on your camera? I bought a Lindahl matte box (Ebay) and 4 little pieces of hardware with thumbscrews and with the rod system, it cost me about $35. Works perfectly.

Let me know if you'd like me to post a picture.

Tom

Hey Danial,

Do you have a rod system on your camera? I bought a Lindahl matte box (Ebay) and 4 little pieces of hardware with thumbscrews and with the rod system, it cost me about $35. Works perfectly.

Let me know if you'd like me to post a picture.

Tom

Hey Tom, I would like to see it. I have a Lindahl as well but the soft plastic mount seems threaded wrong. I'm wondering if the Metor has standard threads on it but the UV fro another camera seems to fit fine so I think the plastic mount is hosed. I saw some suppliers have metal adapter rings. Might be a better way to go. Post a pic if you will. Love to see the setup and hear how yours is working. I have the longer "vignetter" sitting on the shelf here. Similar Ebay deal I think. I don't know whey folks don't look harder at these for basic light control. I never understood why a matte box had to be so expensive.

Sean

Here you go Sean. There has been some sawing and sanding. I did get nervous sanding plastic without ventilation. Anyway, as I said it's all functional.

side

front

close

Tom

Cool stuff. Where the heck did the rod mounting plate come from? Mine just attaches to the lens barrel. I have been looking for a setup like this for a while for either the Cinetactics or the Lindhal. In fact, I proposed something adjustable but similar to a flat "L" shaped plate that would attach under a camera, have up/down adjustments in the front and a welded on 77mm or similar ring that you could use as a floating attachemtn for the Lindhal or other such lens mountable boxes. Easy to make but I have no machining tools here to do it. I am betting for us Bolex, K-3, and other users such a amount would sell a few, if not overpriced.

I once asked someone to come up with a Cokin square lens shade with a simple hot shoe mount or some other mounted french flag on it. Also simple but no takers yet.

S.