Question regarding ProMist filters

Dror Dayan

Hello everybody,

as part of my cinematography studies I have to hold a short lecture about ProMist filters. Can anyone help me out and tell me of some good scenes that show an interesting use of ProMist? preferably something more than the usual candle-light-dinner setting or old actors with wrinkles...

thanks in advance!

Dror

Hello everybody,

as part of my cinematography studies I have to hold a short lecture about ProMist filters. Can anyone help me out and tell me of some good scenes that show an interesting use of ProMist? preferably something more than the usual candle-light-dinner setting or old actors with wrinkles...

thanks in advance!

Dror

Marilyn Monroe, heaven, confused situations (not only under drugs) flashbacks e.t.c. it´s more a creative choice.

In old movies they often shot the women with more softness than the men.

The promist filters do also reduce the contrast and you can use them as a low cost Varicon (by flashing the filter with a light panel or something like this...). I think you know the main functions.

best!

• 1 month later...
Hello everybody,

thanks in advance!

Dror

Piggy backing: I've recently come across a very inspiring film, the 1960s Japanese horror film of the Criterion collection called Jigoku. It has a pearlescent outburst on the highlights and remarkably dark sets. I was wondering if this perhaps was shot with a Promist or Japanese equivalent? Also, was this possibly reversal film?

Here's the only clip I can find... you can see what I'm talking about when the women in the white robes raise their umbrellas.

The recent kung fu film Dragon Tiger Gate had some outrageous glowing highlights very similar to Jigoku. Is the Promist behind this?

It is especially beautiful where the highlights glow out into the blackness, like the scene in Jigoku where the man who was run over is being wheeled on a stretcher down a hall. I find this scene to be completely astounding.

• Premium Member
Piggy backing: I've recently come across a very inspiring film, the 1960s Japanese horror film of the Criterion collection called Jigoku. It has a pearlescent outburst on the highlights and remarkably dark sets. I was wondering if this perhaps was shot with a Promist or Japanese equivalent?

Ask stan wallace at

http://www.filtergallery.com/Company_Profile.html

I recall they carried a lot of Japanese diffusion filters that i'd never heard of as well as harder to come by filters for us antipodeans...like Harrison etc...

jb

• 2 weeks later...

You have to check out most of Robert Richardson's work, The Doors, JFK, Natural Born Killers, Bringing Out The Dead (although I think he used nets more), as he uses pro mist quite extensively and wonderfully.

You have to check out most of Robert Richardson's work, The Doors, JFK, Natural Born Killers, Bringing Out The Dead (although I think he used nets more), as he uses pro mist quite extensively and wonderfully.

I've known Bob's 1st Gregor Tavernor forever. He was prepping a movie once and he stepped out of the room for something so I decided to peak in his filter case. You what was in there? Every filter.

If I'm not mistaken, the Pro-Mist is a relatively new filter and came out in the late 80's if not early 90's. http://www.tiffen.com/promist.htm Before that there were Fogs, Double Fogs, Super Frosts etc.

Edited by Tom Jensen