Super 16 or Ultra 16 for home movies

John Adolfi

From what Bernie just left on my VM an Eiki can be made into a Super16 projector. I'm assuming that a projector can be fitted for Ultra16mm. So the question is which format? I want to shoot home movies, cost is secondary... to a degree. Look and quality are a priority.

To shoot S16 or U16 and then project on a screen? That is the question.

Edited by John Adolfi

• Premium Member

You say cost is secondary, but do you realize how expensive it really is?

Do you own a camera?

Color negative can be had for as little as 10 cents per foot if you're getting expired short ends.

400' is $40.

Processing will be around .13 per foot- $52.

Workprinting (best light) will be around .32 per foot- $128

That is $20 per minute, and that is assuming you get the cheapest of the cheap stock. That cost doesn't allow you much rolling time to capture anything that is unplanned or spontaneous.

Ultra is the more economical route, really. Cameras are cheaper (like the scoopic), and the mod is only about 4-500 bucks.

I would think that the projector would be easier to modify to ultra. With super you have to recenter lenses. I can't imagine that a projector lens could be recentered for cheap.

Keep in mind that if you go super, you have to buy super16 lenses, which cost several thousand dollars. That's to make sure it covers the S16 frame. Ultra works with regular 16 lenses.

Since cost is secondary why not just shoot on an F35... That'll save you all your money on stock and it will give you some pretty high quality for a home movie. But really when I think home movie I think video or 8mm... Obviously Reg 16 and U16 are cheaper, but you limit your post options because even if you don't plan on digitally transferring U16 because you need to have a lab that uses a non sprocket-driven processing unlike a Treise which is used by many of the larger labs. see this thread http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=34904

• 3 weeks later...

Well Bernie told me that Ultra 16 is the wisest choice because of the cost and not having to re-center the lens AND Ultra is 90% of what S16 is.

My recently purchased Scoopic M is being shipped to Bernie as we speak.

Well Bernie told me that Ultra 16 is the wisest choice because of the cost and not having to re-center the lens AND Ultra is 90% of what S16 is.

My recently purchased Scoopic M is being shipped to Bernie as we speak.

• Premium Member

Hi John,

I'm assuming the goal would not be telecine at all but just home projection (since you mentioned your shooting reversal) ? I don't know if there are any home 16mm projectors that have been modded to Ultra 16mm but my concern would be that multiple runs through a sprocket driven projector might scratch the area between the perfs which is exposed in the Ultra 16mm frame.

-Paul

Hi John,

I'm assuming the goal would not be telecine at all but just home projection (since you mentioned your shooting reversal) ? I don't know if there are any home 16mm projectors that have been modded to Ultra 16mm but my concern would be that multiple runs through a sprocket driven projector might scratch the area between the perfs which is exposed in the Ultra 16mm frame.

-Paul

The solution, if that is the case, is to show in R16 and transfer in U16?

• Premium Member
The solution, if that is the case, is to show in R16 and transfer in U16?

The solution... if you ever intend on transferring it would be to telecine or scan it PRIOR to running it through a projector. Our Ultra 16mm modified telecine won't scratch between the perfs... but no guarantees on your projector.

• 2 weeks later...

Once at a camera market, I saw a 16mm projector with the words "Super 16." Don't know whether this really was a Super 16mm projector or just a fancy brand name to grab attention.

And as for shooting home movies on 16mm, well they did it back in the 1930s so what you're doing could be seen as a very retro cool thing!

Once at a camera market, I saw a 16mm projector with the words "Super 16." Don't know whether this really was a Super 16mm projector or just a fancy brand name to grab attention.

And as for shooting home movies on 16mm, well they did it back in the 1930s so what you're doing could be seen as a very retro cool thing!

In 198? when I saw the documentary Imagine I remember seeing the beatles footage in 16mm or 35mm sort of like "home movies" of them getting off the plane at the airport in color. Then as I thought now, "Wow" wouldn't it be great to film home movies in 16mm or 35mm? The look is just so fantastic. My father shot our Christmas's from 1964-70 on a Arriflex BL he borrowed from work he shot a a cameraman. Talk about the incredible look and capture of those magical moments in my life. I'm in process of cleaning and re-reeling them. How to have some digital clips by Fall.

• Premium Member
Once at a camera market, I saw a 16mm projector with the words "Super 16."

The super 16 format where the image extends into the sound area was never a projection format, so it is likely that the projector that you saw was not intended for what is now called Super16