Tips for shooting on the beach

So I am helping a friend out this weekend, SR3 and the beach.

Never shot on the beach before.

The film is a very short narrative.

We will be using a splashbag for some parts.

And I have friday to checkout.

Any tips/hints/suggestions?

• Premium Member

There will be saltwater spray, no matter what. Unfortunately, it really likes to leave awful streaks when you clean it so the best thing I have found is to shield the lens from it as much as possible. I like to keep a flat in front of the lens for rehearsals and I'll pull it right before takes. That helps me keep the glass clear, while also giving full use of the viewfinder for rehearsals.

• Premium Member
A shower cap is a great way to cover the lens while it's not being operated.

Hehe, imagine an genuine ARRI shower cap. The DEFINITIVE for the Arri aficionado who has EVERYTHING!

Cheers, Dave

PS: A UV filter might also be a good idea to keep on the lens. Removes that excessive blue on a hazy day. I used UV filters to protect our SLR lenses on a beach shoot last year. Worked great!

• Premium Member
A shower cap is a great way to cover the lens while it's not being operated.

That's a killer idea. Can you get clear enough shower caps that the operator, DP, etc. can still see to frame up and everything with it on?

That's a killer idea. Can you get clear enough shower caps that the operator, DP, etc. can still see to frame up and everything with it on?

I carried a shower cap in my bag of tricks. Use an optical flat and pull it before you shoot or leave it in and keep it clean. It all depends on how much wind, sand and water is being kicked up. I carried a paint brush so I could clean the tripod and cases before putting it in the truck. Leave the caps on the mags up until the point you reload, I mean last second. Reload in a truck if you have to. Canned air. Blow off the mag before you remove it from the camera. Use a camera cover. Bring a hair dryer. Sunscreen. Forget spreaders. Lay a furny pad on the sand and put equipment on that. I'll think of something else.

4x4 poly bags. Lots of them.

Great for putting over the camera and sticks when changing lenses. You've got room to maneuver, and they keep the salt and spray away from the sensor or film while the lens is off. You can put them over every bit of exposed kit when lunch is called as well.

Also good for keeping half eaten sandwiches in, so as not to get sand blown on them (do not use the sandwich poly bag for a lens changing bag! I should imagine mayonnaise is worse than sea spray for sensors)