Matthews Black C-Stands

Jeff Kolada

Has anyone ever used the black matthews C-stands? I am interested in purchasing a few and I love the idea of being able to hide c-stands in dark areas of the sets. The thing i'm worried about is the back finish chipping/scraping off over time.

Anyone have experience with these?

Has anyone ever used the black matthews C-stands? I am interested in purchasing a few and I love the idea of being able to hide c-stands in dark areas of the sets. The thing i'm worried about is the back finish chipping/scraping off over time.

Anyone have experience with these?

yeah there great, Ive had no problems with them chipping

I wish I had more black c-stands

A have a few and the finish does scratch off. They aren't as rugged as the chrome steel stands. The whole "black grip equipment" thing is B.S. What's next? Gun-metal grey grip equipment? The black is a shiny finish, if have to repaint or paint something I've fabricated, out comes the flat black.

The black is a shiny finish, if have to repaint or paint something I've fabricated, out comes the flat black.

Yeah, that's what the pictures looked like. Doesn't make much sense that they would use a shiny finish if they're trying to make them black. Well I may give one a try and see what happens. Thanks guys

• Premium Member
Yeah, that's what the pictures looked like. Doesn't make much sense that they would use a shiny finish if they're trying to make them black. Well I may give one a try and see what happens. Thanks guys

I have used them in a small studio for 10 years, they all look like new. Not sure what would happen in rental.

My use is on location, not rental, so they don't get abused, but they do suffer the rigors or load, unload, etc. Paint or powder coat is just not as durable as a plated finish.

That's right... and with today's epa restrictions, now even the chrome (plated finish) peels off. :(

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience, if there has to be a stand hidden in the shot, then usually art department has to work some magic. A black stand in a dark corner isn't usually going to cut it. There's nothing wrong with black stands, but I wouldn't pay more for them.