Monitor Outputs

Andrew Binns

Hi there.

I'm a film production student who has invested in a 5D MkII and some acompanying rigging with the intent to produce as good a showreel as possible with the various graduate films I am shooting as I move on with my career.

When it comes to shooting, my preference is that the directors of the films I work on can always have a live view monitor to study as i shoot, and this is of course a big issue when it comes to D-SLR shooting. The issue of not being able to keep the LCD display on when an output monitor is connected is a real shame - maybe there's a trick to allow both outputs to display?

Of course if this isn't at all possible then what kind of setups would people recommend if i went with dual monitor output, obviously involving a HDMI splitter?

I was wondering whether any kind souls would mind posting some ideas of how to about convenient ways of having this set up; both on convenient tripod set ups, and when using my shoulder mount rig where adding a monitor for me to view is considerably more inconvenient...

The best solution that I have come across is running the HDMI out from the camera into a HDMI to HD-SDI converter box that gives you two HD-SDI outs.

I think the one to get is the Blackmagic Mini HDMI to HD-SDI, some of the converter boxes can't handle the resolution switching of the 5D (when it goes into record).

This way you avoid long HDMI cables and HDMI splitters both of which have never been very reliable in my experience.

As far as I'm away magic lantern hasn't yet solved the lcd off when video out is enabled.

Edited by jacob thomas

As Jacob said the Black Magic converter box is the way to go. You can attach this to your rig and run the HD-SDI to most any professional on-camera and field monitor.

If you are looking for a cheaper different solution I would say that an HDMI splitter may work if you're willing to deal with unruly HDMI cables.

The only way NOT to disable the LCD on the back of the camera is to use a USB cable running to a laptop and use the EOS software to monitor the signal on the laptop. In theory, you could run a 15ft USB to a DIT station then wifi that to ipads and iphones using the DSLR remote app. I tested that setup in studio and it actually works. My producer loved the concept. I have not been able to test it in the field.