Will fujifilm vivid 160 work for this shoot?

Ryan Sage

Hello, I am shooting a short student film in the near future and wondering if i can get away with shooting the vivid 160 stock. I will be shooting on an sr2 with zeiss superspeeds in a theater with access to an entire grid of lekos and pars. I will also have a set of kenos, a couple 1k open face arris, a 1k china ball and an assortment of fresnels 150w-650w. The film is about a stage actor and most of the scenes take place on the stage lit pretty high key. I am focused on getting a high contrast image with a lot of highlights. In some of the test footage I have seen of this stock I really love how rich the blacks are and how punchy the colors are. Will I have enough light to expose this stock rating it at 160? Or would I have better luck shooting the vivid 500 and rating it at 250 and then pulling 1 stop in processing? I am just a little concerned with how grainy the 16mm 500 stock looks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member

Hello, I am shooting a short student film in the near future and wondering if i can get away with shooting the vivid 160 stock. I am just a little concerned with how grainy the 16mm 500 stock looks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best way to find out would be to try your light meter on the stage with a fair amount of the available wattage in use. perhaps you can get access when someone else is using the facilities.

Hello, I am shooting a short student film in the near future and wondering if i can get away with shooting the vivid 160 stock. I will be shooting on an sr2 with zeiss superspeeds in a theater with access to an entire grid of lekos and pars. I will also have a set of kenos, a couple 1k open face arris, a 1k china ball and an assortment of fresnels 150w-650w. The film is about a stage actor and most of the scenes take place on the stage lit pretty high key. I am focused on getting a high contrast image with a lot of highlights. In some of the test footage I have seen of this stock I really love how rich the blacks are and how punchy the colors are. Will I have enough light to expose this stock rating it at 160? Or would I have better luck shooting the vivid 500 and rating it at 250 and then pulling 1 stop in processing? I am just a little concerned with how grainy the 16mm 500 stock looks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi...I may be able to help you out. Whether you want to shoot with the Vivid 160 or one of the other Fuji stocks, give me call or send me a note.

Rich Kalinsky

Fujifilm USA

212 905 2390

rkalinsky@fujifilm.com

What do you want your finished piece to look like and what will it be finished on? If you want a lower grain image and are perhaps going to print, I would suggest the 160T. Rate it at 125 or even 100 if you have the light. Don't pull or push process, process normal.