There's an Arri 16S prototype on eBay. Cool!

Sean Charlesworth

• Premium Member

I stumbled upon this today and thought it was pretty cool. An Arri 16S prototype. Even has a letter from Arriflex as verification. I know Tim will enjoy this:

Sean

Sean,

That's been up there for about a month now. He started out asking $4500 for it, and got no takers. Then lowered to $4000, $3000, $2000, what's it at now? Had a talk with Axel Broda about it. He had not seen that particular prototype.

Along the same lines, ARRI made a number of cameras for Disney in the early to mid 1950's, and from what I gather, they were for animation stands. A number of them were donated to Cal Arts, and they sent a couple to me for service. Really fascinating, albeit frustrating to work on. About fifty percent of the camera guts were one offs, and custom made parts. There were holes in the bottoms of the cameras where they attached to animation stands, and were driven from beneath. Lots of little custom made brass bracketry inside. Wild little cameras.

Best,

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Sean,

That's been up there for about a month now. He started out asking $4500 for it, and got no takers. Then lowered to $4000, $3000, $2000, what's it at now? Had a talk with Axel Broda about it. He had not seen that particular prototype.

Along the same lines, ARRI made a number of cameras for Disney in the early to mid 1950's, and from what I gather, they were for animation stands. A number of them were donated to Cal Arts, and they sent a couple to me for service. Really fascinating, albeit frustrating to work on. About fifty percent of the camera guts were one offs, and custom made parts. There were holes in the bottoms of the cameras where they attached to animation stands, and were driven from beneath. Lots of little custom made brass bracketry inside. Wild little cameras.

Best,

-Tim

Hi, I just took delivery of the camera. What a piece of history! I am very experienced with the production camera as I've owned/shot one for over 25 years. This is a little gem!

Marco

I used some of those CalArts Arris when I was there. The story there was that the cameras were

used on the wild life documentaries. They were beat up and the lens mounts were worn down enough so that an Angie zoom wouldn't hold focus. Impressed that the ground glasses had 1.85 markings.

Also in the building was a Disney animation stand that had a Kodak CineSpecial mounted on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sean,

Best,

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I spoke to Axel about the camera and he now has a comprehensive set of photographs. I will wait to hear his response to the camera and forward the info here.

Marco

• Premium Member

Hi Tim,

I spoke to Axel about the camera and he now has a comprehensive set of photographs. I will wait to hear his response to the camera and forward the info here.

Marco

Great Marco, have fun with it.

Best,

-Tim