Books on 16mm film technique

David Owen James

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I hope there will be many more to come.

I want to break free from the world of digital cameras and focus my energy entirely to shooting on film, as it is the beautiful form of capturing images and I want to keep it alive.

What I'm looking for is a book or two to start me in the right direction. I'm interested in learning the technical side of shoot filming, things like loading a camera, using a light meter, aperture, lense, shutter speeds, how film records lights, processing etc. Something a little more than basic but not too difficult. I'm not looking for a book on cinematography, as in a book that describes the artistic placement of camera, editing etc.

If anyone has a book or two to suggest as a good foundation I would be very grateful. I would love to shoot a film in 16mm this year if I can get the budget together.

David James

I would start with a very basic book about how film 'works': the classic 'The negative' by Ansel Adams. I helped 'convert' several videographers to film and they found it fascinating. Don't get too involved with the mechanics of the camera yet, after all it is only a way to hold up the film against the light.

I remember this book...

However, I don't remember it being so expensive. 66 dollars USED? Jeez.

It is a great book.....

But you're right that is expensive! I don't remember paying that much. Maybe it's out of print now.

You could check your local library. It's a long shot, but you never know.