Rain cover for Alexa

Hi, I will make the assistant in a film where we shoot a lot under the rain, I would want to wonder some council on that type of rain cover I could use. usually the problem is above all is the Lens, specially if is a big Zoom, like a Optimo 24-290mm. usually I use of the plastic envelopes, for the camera body. here in Italy I'dont found an Original Arri's Rain Cover (exist?).

if you know a place where they sell them......

Thak's

• 2 weeks later...

I usually find a clear shower curtain and cut it to sort of make a bag for the camera with the front open for the lens, and the bottom open for the tripod/head. Adding velcro around the front side helps to stick it to the matte box. Also, check www.filmtools.com for their 3mil disposable rain covers, they are nice and cheap, and can be tossed or re-used.

http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-medium-camera-cover.html

I usually don't use a dedicated rain cover, as I find the other methods work out better, and are cheaper and easier to use.

• Premium Member

Clear shower curtain and gorilla tape. Make it in prep. Make sure you do it near the end of prep so you have your different builds (handheld, steadicam, studio) figured out and make a raincover for each one.

I have seen some people who like to build a "modular" rain cover, sized for a primes-built camera, with an addition that velcros on for a big zoom lens, such as the Optimo 24-290. Some people prefer to have a dedicated cover for each configuration.

• 7 months later...

I filmed last year with this rain cover and was more than thrilled. Several opportunities to expand and the thing is 100% tight.

The Alexa rain cover fits both camera configurations with fixed focal lengths, as well as with long zooms (eg Angenieux Optimo 24-290) and various compendia. For long zoom is a front extension.

http://filmstoff.net/htd/produkte/kamera/regenhauben.html

Chiming in to agree with shower curtain. Although, I'd probably use a 'bag-it'

Make sure you build in ways to access your card slots, and any other thing you might have to pull. Also, be aware that when you open up the bag, you're going to have water dripping, so have a microfiber cloth handy.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

Have you checked the camera essentials.com website? Patti Harrison (owner) just made several custom weather covers for my movie, Panavision and IMAX and they were very reasonably priced. They even incorporated a neoprene front that allows my Cinetape tubes to poke through and not let moister in. She may already have an Alexa cover designed and ready to ship. It's worth checking.

G

• 2 months later...