How to Create and Light Heavy Smoke on Screen

Hi there,

First time here, so I hope I posted this in the right place. I'm developing a 10-12 minute short and I need some advice about creating its look. The short intends to feature a lot of fog/smoke atmosphere for its environments and could include large stretches of area.

I would like to know what kind of machine I would need to create this kind of heavy smoke? Roughly how much does the amount of material needed to produce that much smoke cost? And recommended lighting plans for the smoke? As well as other advice on the nitty-gritty of filming with heavy smoke.

Also, if anyone knows how they lit City of Angels (kinds of lights, set up, achieving the sodium vapor look), and/or how to recreate the lighting for the FMV cut-scenes of Silent Hill 2 in real life, that'd be really helpful.

My references:

The Crow: City of Angels (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qco8ycx50

Ashe_poster.jpgThe_Crow_City_of_Angels_11323_Medium.jpg

936full-the-crow%3A-city-of-angels-screenshot.jpg

Silent Hill 2 (2001)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60p0NMCBLw4

Particularly between 4:00 to 6:00. I realize its a video game but it depicts what I'm aiming for.

352093-james4_super.jpg

maria1--screenshot_large.jpg

silenthill2.jpg

sh2.jpg

imgsilent%20hill%2022.jpg

sh2-1.jpg

Thank you all so much!!

Edited by Francisco Martins

Smoke in an interior is relatively simple, doing it on exteriors can be a nightmare. It disperses extremely quickly especially if there's any wind, so you need a large smoke generating capacity unless the area you're smoking is small and even then it won't last long. For large exteriors you really need the gear that the special effects guys use.

You could check out the Smoque filter http://www.tiffen.com/literature/Smoque_SS.pdf They might also be worth testing in combination with a smaller smoke machine just doing the foreground.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christopher Sheneman

Diesel fuel soak old goodwill clothes packed in a 55- gallon drum, uses gas to start it. Have a fire extinguisher. It will produce killer smoke. Not for interiors, will actually produce "killer" smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

So aside from using an Artem unit or a Pulse Jet Fogger, is there any other equipment I can use? And is there any large equipment that can create a large amount of smoke?

In The Crow, they were able to create huge thick clouds of it that seemed to remain somewhat stationary, or very slowly dissipating, and they did it right on the streets of Los Angeles.

For creating a amount of smoke nothing I've seen beats a lawn fogger which is sort of a hybrid lawn mower/ fog machine.

Then you need to control the smoke, because if the wind is blowing the wrong way all that smoke is for nothing. A small efan probably won't do to much for you outside - you're better off with a couple of these

Ideally I would have several smoke stations, each consisting of 2 x lawn foggers and 1 x big fan.

Make sure you let the fire dept know what you're up to otherwise they will be there pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...