Adapting Arri Bayonet to PL on a fixed focus lens

Mikael Gustafson

I recently acquired an Angenieux 5.9mm with an Arri bayonet mount. I would like to adapt it to PL but want to know how important it is to get the flange focal distance exact with a fixed focus lens. In other words, should I pay someone to have it professionally mounted and collimated or will a $100 screw on PL mount from ebay do fine with this sort of lens?

Edited by Mikael Gustafson

• Premium Member

Chances are it will not cover the Super 16 frame, you know that right?

There are many different quality levels of those adapters but in general they should be able to be applied by you. However you should have a pro check it next time you rent gear or drop by a rental house...probably wouldn't charge for that or maybe a six pack of beer.

Chances are it will not cover the Super 16 frame, you know that right?

Yea I know. This particular lens will be used on a black magic pocket which has a sensor size similar to super 16. It vignettes ever so slightly but not too bad. I suppose I could look into a bayonet to mft adapter but I love the robustness of the PL mount.

I think I'll probably grab a cheap adapter off ebay and take my chances. Good advice on having a rental shop check it out. Thanks!

Zac, could you link me to the fotodiox bayo>mft adapter? I couldn't seem to find it. I've only been able to find these two:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRI-B-ARRIFLEX-BAYONET-to-M43-M4-3-MFT-PANASONIC-G-OLYMPUS-E/121224986192

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRI-B-ARRIFLEX-BAYONET-to-M43-M4-3-MFT-PANASONIC-G-OLYMPUS-E-/321028217281

which are both more expensive than the PL adapter.

The FFD is very critical on a lens of such short focal length.

Avoid slip-on adapters held to lens by only a few setscrews; this system is not accurate enough.

A proper adapter should have the same twist and lock feature as a camera's lens mount.

You will probably still need to have this combination collimated but at least the adjustment will hold firm.

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

I'm in agreement with Jean-Louis, the shorter the focal length of the lens, the more critical the FFD. I would have someone with the proper equipment (collimator) set the lens up for PL mount, then you should be good to go.