Eastman Double-X 5222 in film SLR

Nate Opgenorth

I saw this thread: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?s=1c2ca0bd1a2159d4d0a34cbd6d9102cb&showtopic=12419&page=2

Among many others on the internet. I get the jist of it but I didn't want to base my research off circa 2006 data since film is uh on life support or at least was but still. I'm curious about using Eastman Double-X 5222 in my 35mm SLR, the reason I ask is because when I saw the movie Raging Bull I realized that those fight scenes in the ring were easily the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...now I realize that I'm probably not going to get the look perfect but I love the look of the stock in general and was wondering if I could use it for stills. I know its not designed for print but I could get it scanned just like digital intermediate process and work with it. If its too much of a hassle to shoot 5222 in an SLR then I would certainly be open to similar black and white film for still 35mm but allot of the black and white I see just doesn't quite look like Double-X 5222, especially from movies like Raging Bull!

I don't see why not. You can even home process it! :)

Of course you will need to find a way to load it into the little stills cans.

and it will probably be only easily available in 400ft rolls on cores. :)

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Contact Kodak. They used to make 35mm cine stocks available on 35mm rolls for cinematographers; so they can run tests (according to Andrew Laszlo's "Every Frame a Rembrandt"). Probably not a catalog item. They might not do it anymore. But I'd call them up (or email) and ask them.

If not, you need a film winder, a darkroom (or a darkbag in a pinch) and a bunch of spoolable cores. B&H carries all of those.

Have you tried any other B&W neg still films? I'd give T-Max 100 a shot. You should be able to squeeze out a similar look on that.

ORWO (www.orwona.com) makes 35mm black and white that's very similar to 5222 (although at different speeds). Their UN54 is rated at 100 ASA and N74 at 250 ASA. You can get 100' rolls and spool down into cartridges with a Lloyd's bulk film loader (I got one from Freestyle Photography). I've shot a few roles with this. You just have to test your particular camera to see if the perfs match, since cine film has slightly different perf shapes. The film jams regularly in my Canonet rangefinder, but works just fine in the F1 SLR. I then process the film myself at a local facility and scan the film.

• 4 months later...

If you don't want to buy 100' at a time, 5222 is available in 35mm rolls from these two sites:

http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/35mm-bw-eastman-double-x-5222-1-roll

http://www.labeauratoire.com/film/EXX/EXX.html

UN54 and UN74 are also available at labeauratoire, and, if you really want to experiment, filmphotographyproject has some Kodak print stocks for sale.