3-perf conversion - where and how much?

Alexander Boyd

• Premium Member

Hopefully he won't mind me talking out of school but in 2012 he was able to do a 2-perf conversion on an Arri 2C for $4000. But those cameras are relatively easier to convert I would think than a Konvas.

Just email him because his pricing may have gone down or up in the last few years, just know that Bruce is the man to do the conversion if you go through with it.

Also, this is what he had to say about 3-perf if you were thinking about that...

3 PERF IS VERY DIFFICULT. CONSIDER THAT THE CLAW WILL ENTER THE FILM BETWEEN SPROCKET HOLES SO THE GATE HAS TO BE RAISED OR LOWERED ALONG WITH THE LENS AND VIEWING SYSTEM. VERY COSTLY

• Premium Member

A 2C conversion would be much, much simpler than a Moviecam.

With the SL Mk2 3 perf conversion kit you replace the gate, movement, and various transmission gears and belts. No need to shift the optical centre or viewfinder, but the movement is entirely new rather than modified, so the claw and registration pin entry positions are shifted.

These days I'm sure you could buy a whole 3 perf camera for less than the cost of a conversion, especially trying to convert a fairly modern sync sound movement (plus manufacture a new gate).