Back Light Dimming in and out question.

I am Shooting a rock band video and I am trying to see how this artist pulled off the dimming in and out of the two back lights used at 1:50 in this music video

Also I am wondering what sources these might be and how they rigged up two of them to dim in and out at the same time. I am trying to do the same thing but instead of just back light hitting the artist i want it to reveal and fade away the remains members of the band. i think this look is cool so i want try and throw my own style on it.

Anyone know what source this could be and how they rigged them up?

Thanks!!!!

Cristian

• Premium Member

Both lights (they look like parcans, so 1Ks) are on the same dimmer. You would need a 2K Variac dimmer as a minimum to handle the load. It's kinda tough to do quick up and down dimming on a Variac like that since it has a big and heavy knob, so maybe they used something like a Magic Gadgets 2K Quick In-Line dimmer.

You could use 500 watt par bulbs if one would want it to dim up faster. Also one could use a small dimmer pack and DMXit or small programmable board or laptop computer running dimmer software for repeatability. I'm not an expert at this but one could probably run a light board off midi signal from the track for perfect repeatability if it was needed.

Beware 2k Magic Gadgets running 2k's. I low they say 2k, but that load burns them up once in a while. A friend warned me about it. But I didn't believe it till I saw it happen.