The Cider Maker short film

Thanks a lot Ted! I shot this on a Canon C100 with primarily just a Nikkor Ais 50mm 1.4 and Nikkor Ais 24mm 2.8, as well as a couple shots on the good ol Canon 24-105. The audio set up to capture the interview was a Rode ntg-2/deadcat lined right into my c100 through a 20' xlr cable rigged up on a boom pole and mic stand about a foot from Trevors mouth. For the broll audio it was a little bit of the ntg-2 mounted on my camera as well as the rode videomic pro. For stabilization I just pressed the flip out lcd screen on the c100 to my chest or stomach, on some shots I used warp stabilizer, for the tracking shots I used a Dji ronin m. Thanks again!

Really delightful and beautiful work. Could you elaborate on your audio and camera. What did you use to stabilize shots?

The time of year... the leaves, what a timely and fitting piece!

Thanks for sharing your work.

Edited by Spencer Whiteman

• Premium Member

This is great! I very much like short form documentaries like these, having grown up on them.

If I might get really picky, the camera moves a lot, and maybe that's indicative of the modern time; I think cider and apples don't really warrant all that camera movement, even handheld footage. A monopod might even serve you in the future?

Secondly, and this is really something that might be personally subjective, the B-roll audio might be a bit loud, as I found it a bit distracting to what he was saying - like "Why is he pouring apples in this bag so loud?!"

Anyhow, I am looking forward to your next documentary!

This is great! I very much like short form documentaries like these, having grown up on them.

If I might get really picky, the camera moves a lot, and maybe that's indicative of the modern time; I think cider and apples don't really warrant all that camera movement, even handheld footage. A monopod might even serve you in the future?

Secondly, and this is really something that might be personally subjective, the B-roll audio might be a bit loud, as I found it a bit distracting to what he was saying - like "Why is he pouring apples in this bag so loud?!"

Anyhow, I am looking forward to your next documentary!

Thanks Jay! I appreciate it. The hand held look is what I was going for, but there are some shots that have some "Micro jitter" which I should've smoothed out in post.

As for the b-roll audio that is a very good point, someone else has said the same thing. I'll make sure to tone it down a notch next time, thanks again!