One cellphone can ruin a movie

I work at an AMC and before the film an advertisement for best buy plays, asking audiences to please turn off their cellphone. The current one is a a parody of a trailer for a crouching tiger hidden dragon type hong kong movie. I also remember one that was about native americans.

The strange thing is these have incredible production value, for being what they are (a silly joke asking audiences to turn off their cellphones) . The visual excelllence of these ads always makes me dissappointed that they're not actually trailers for films. I was wondering if anyone here knows what production company does these.

Shaun,

I am aware of those advertisements/warnings you are talking about, and feel the same way you do about the production value. Unfortunately, I do not know the company behind these fantastic teasers, but am equally as impressed by their consistent and entertaining nature.

• Premium Member

I know nothing about them, other than that I enjoy the progression of production value.

First the oscilloscope looking one, then the Submarine one (not the best looking one I have seen), then the teen movie one, then the Indian one, and now this one. They have gotten better and better looking.

Kevin Zanit

At the theater I work for, Cell Phones are not allowed on inside the auditoriums at all, and if a cell phone rings (and someone actually reports it) you can taken out of the auditoriums and not allowed to return the whole day, plus you get no refund...

I have never had to kick anyone out yet, and I'm yet to hear any cell phones go off inside one of the auditoriums... We have signs all over the entryway, on the back of the tickets, on the doors to the auditoriums, ect that say "Please turn your cell phone OFF or on VIBRATE".

It seems to work...

They should simply put large letters on the screen before the film starts:

"This theater would like to remind you that if your cell phone goes off, and everyone in the theaters beats the living crap out of you, it will be too dark for any suspects to be identified... that is IF we bother to call the police"

MP

AMC is headquartered here in Kansas City. It's literally just a Best Buy commercial done by Best Buy Advertising (in-house agency in Minnesota). They are co-sponsored by telecom companies like *cough* guess who? :rolleyes: There have been three of them that I'm aware of, and don't quote me, but I think the same folks involved in all.

Director

Mike Neleson

DP

Mike Welckle

Editorial Company

Fischer Edit, Minneapolis

Editor

Randy Kramer

Postproduction

Pacific Title, Los Angeles

Oh, and here's a link to one: http://pumpupthemovie.com

Edited by Gordon Highland

Hey if theaters want to minimize cell-phone use during screenings...

How about a sensible approach...

Besides kicking people out...

(I'd really like to see those 110lbs 17 year movie attendents

Actually try to kick out a 275lbs man because his cell phone rang...:))

Or Maiming and killing them...

Why don't theaters just get signal jammers...to prevent cell-phone use.

They're not that difficult to install.

Besides everynow and then you need to take that important call...

i am totally PRO signal jammer in cinemas...or alternatively sniper rifels and night vision goggles for the projectionist.

I HATE PEOPLE WITH MOBILE PHONES IN CINEMAS.

i remember some dumbass woman during the lord of the rings premier a few years back that talked on the phone during the movie for 15 !!!! bloody minutes. seriously, if she would have been a guy, i would have lost it n hit her/him.

Well, where I work we have a "No cell phone" policy. I'm not the one who would kick someone out anyway, its the Manager, and if he cant succed, and things get out of hand, its the police.

We also have a "3 strike policy", if your cause smoking, usuing cell phones (in the theaters only, cell phones ARE allowed in the lobby), causing trouble, ect you have 3 strikes, then your OUT FOR EVER :rolleyes: ...

We have a no-tolerance policy on video recording movies: Not only will you be forever banned from the cinema, management may report you to the police.

Sometimes I got to the Lowes in Times Square on a fri or sat night where you get all these big steroid mofos with their girlfriends. Good luck kicking them out...I think the only thing getting kicked will be your arse up and down the isle. I also doubt calling the cops will be much help considering most of these dudes are cops! lol

Edited by DavidSloan

I suggest using this tactic (if you have the balls):

A roommate of mine about 10 years ago was in a theater, and the guy behind him kept talking to his pal through the movie, so my roommate stood up in front of him.

The guy said "hey, what the hell? Sit down"

The response was "if I don't get to hear the movie, then you don't get to see the movie".

MP

You know what's funny (not) is how one cell phone can ruin the shooting of a movie. I was on location in Oklahoma last week at a horse racing track where people go to gamble illegaly. Lots of scary looking characters around, etc. At one point everytime we called for a take the same cell would ring. We soon realized that it was one f-ing jerk setting off his phone on purpose. The director wound up calling a bunch of rehearsals until the guy got busted by someone in the crowd.

That reminds me of something I saw happen a fews ago here in town.

They were shooting a scene for a MOW with Sheryl Ladd in it, and they chose this old rundown part of Roseville for this scene, where I happened to be helping a friend on a project at the local cable access, which was a 1/2 block down.

They should have checked out their locations better beforehand, because they set up right across the street from the Barker Hotel: a century+ old flophouse that rents to wino's & street people.

These guys came out to watch the filming, and every time they'd start rolling, this one plastered homeless guy would yell out "roll-em" or "cut" at the top of his lungs.

They could not get him to shut up. He just kept wandering around the street screaming this stuff out, and then another one started in.

Obviously they had to loop this scene, but you could see how difficult it was for the actors to try to stay in character and deliver lines with all this commotion going on, and the sun was going down as well, and they were shooting with just sunlight.

MP