Stuart Allman

rainbow circular flare

I saw a few second of a music video and I'd like to recreate the flare. Unfortunately I have a difficult time trying to get my Fujifilm lens to flare! I'm wondering if there are any filters I can add to the front of my lens to get a circular rainbow pattern like at 2:30 and 4:40 in this music video.

Stuart Allman

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

David (Mullen),

I just read the article in the ASC magazine about the Love Witch where you talk about using a diffraction filter to get a rainbow effect. Which one did you use? I see various types of these on Amazon, but it would be good to get your experience here.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart Allman

----------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

I've seen those sorts of rainbow flares on older lenses -- you see them in "Alien", for example, shot on C-series Panavision anamorphics. I've seen similar things with other optics from the 1970's and earlier. I've only gotten them myself with my lensbaby.

I used a Cokin diffraction filter, it's a star filter that creates rainbow-colored lines, not the circular flare you are talking about.

lovewitch23.jpg

my Fujifilm lens

which lens mount you use? you can try some Russian lenses (for example Helios 44M does the circulars easily wide open) and Super Takumars if M42 is OK for you (can be adapted to EF easily)

Thank you all for the info. I have some old Super Takumar lenses that I inherited from my grandpa, so I might try those. I have an M42 to EF mount adapter. The Cokin diffraction filter gives a nice effect too, so I might buy one of those. I'm in an experimental phase with lens filters. I have a set of Zeiss primes, so I might try some of these effects with those lenses as well. When I had Canon zooms they flared really easy, but the Zeiss and Fujifilm lenses are more difficult when it comes to adding "character."

Unfortunately the closest I'll ever get to a Panavision lens is driving by their rental facility!

Stuart Allman

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com