Loading daylight spools in Arri Sr2

Hello film lovers,

Bare with me as I'm new to film. I was wandering if I could use a empty daylight spool in the take up side of my magazine instead of my adapter? It would make unloading and putting the film back in the original packaging much easier. I've shot one spool and unloaded it in total darkness, but now my adapter is in the original packaging with the film. I'm. Hoping to avoid that in the future. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'll post a couple pictures of the spool in the magazine, and the original adapter. Cheers

Jim

• Premium Member

With 'adapter', do you mean the plastic film core/bobbin? They are very cheap and you should have a bag full of them at all times. Ask the lab to return the bobbin with the scan and you will never run out. Much easier than empty daylight spools and a lot less noisy.

you can definitely use empty daylight load spools on the take up side. As Uli said, it is a little louder, though if you're in a rush or dont have a changing bag its better than using a core.

since you mentioned a core adapter, not an empty core, keep in mind one of the rules of shooting film is a core adapter sent to the lab will never return. so if you've used a collapsable core adapter on the take up side, before sending it to the lab stick the box back into a bag, remove the core adapter, and pop a normal core in where the adapter was.