Orwo DN2

• Premium Member

DN is the abbreviation of Duplicate Negative. You have the technical data at hand, there you read the film has a tinted base. Of course can you develop DN 2 to a usefully contrasted positive but the grey base stays. As with all positive images on dyed-base films you want to compensate for the light loss. The additional light washes out shadows. Films have a limited amount of silver on them. You can only develop out the maximum possible density. That is about log 2.6 or 2.7 according to the FilmoTec data sheet. Regular print films yield densities of log 3. In other words, DN 2 cannot bring the same brilliance PF 2 does. For a printing alternative better try out ORWO TF 12 That pulls up to log 4.8 or 4.9. But it is quite contrasty, so a different-than-usual development is needed.

• Premium Member

I use a lot of DN2, PF2 and TF12d; why try to pull a print using DN2?

DN2 is a good dupe negative stock; a bit more contrasty than Kodak 2234, but still very good.

TF12d is only used in our lab to make dupe negative tracks and we process it at 2.40 gamma in the positive developer to give it the proper contrast for Variable Area tracks. I would never dream of printing a continuous tone image on this stock without a lot of expensive testing and, perhaps, flashing; it is just too contrasty.

PF2 is a very good print stock and it makes fabulous prints! The snap is incredible; especially when printing directly from a nitrate negative!

DP31 is a good interpositive stock, but I do prefer Kodak 2366, as it has a longer grey scale.