Is normal MP4 video 30fps?

No you can change the frame rate.. usually 24/25/30/50/60p.. even 100/120 at certain REC settings.. ie HD not 4K..  the A7III also has S&Q (slow and Quick)   to "burn in " slo mo or time lapse ..  30p is not" normal" for the rest of the world .. only the US.. and the few other 60Hz countries ..

• Upvote 1

The "30P" is probably really "29.97"fps for US TVs.  But the more important question is what is the best frame rate for your distribution? For web distribution, just about any of the "standard" frame rates will play back fine on computers or phones or tablets.  Though, I've found issues with 25fps on vimeo playing back correctly on my US Panasonic TV through the Roku/Vimeo app.

In general, for world wide distribution, for cinema, streaming, and TV broadcast, it's best to originate at 24fps or maybe 23.98fps if necessary.  24fps can be sped up to 25fps for distribution in 50 hz countries easily.  3:2 pulldown can also be added to obtain 30fps or 60i for US TV broadcast.  Cinema distribution is 24fps world wide.

Conversely, if you need to convert from 30fps to 24fps it is difficult to get smooth motion due to the dropped frames.  Hence the recommendation to originate at 24fps.

• Upvote 2

Also depends on what "look" you like.. I prefer 23.98 to 29.97.. but as freelancer usually have little voice in the matter.. I think 50/60p looks terrible.. but other people love that look.. they are different.. so maybe see what you think looks best for your content..  nothing is wrong or right really.. but some frame rates you might not like the look of.. and some will problematic depending on work flow / distribution..