Sean Dahlberg

Film/Video Test LUT question

I recently conducted a pretty large lens/camera test that involved an Arri Alexa Mini and an Aaton XTR Prod.  Now, I want to be able to compare them side by side as well as be able to show directors the differences/similarities between film and digital.  Both the film scans and the digital dailies are in LOG and I would love to give them a similar grade so that I'm not influencing the look of either camera systems.  Now, the Alexa Mini dailies attach a 709 LUT when imported into premiere, my question is: is there anyplace where there's a sort of 709 for Kodak Vision 3 stock that I can apply to my Log film scans?  If not, how would you recommend I can grade these so that I'm not "influencing" the look of either?  

I think that since a digital color correction has no standard look (vs. film negative printed on film)  there is no way to make a "standard" comparison here.

I think the best one can do for this test is to color correct the digital camera file and the film scan in a proper grading software and present your preferred look from each original.  They might look quite similar or different and it's your choice.

I think you'll have to color-correct everything to match as closely as possible without getting rid of any intrinsic film vs. digital differences.

Granted I have not had much experience with grading scanned film stock. But I asked a friend who was working on a project where they did film for some scanned footage and some of the B cam digital footage that they had and tried to grade it in Resolve.

At first I wasn't happy with matching stuff but then I learned how to use Aces color space and I was able to get a pretty good match.
In fact I even tried mixing in some footage from a drone and some of my Pocket 4K footage and everything looked pretty consistent or should I say consistent enough for myself not being a colorist or anything.