Beginner's question: Shooting on Super 8 for 16:9 aspect ratio

Bruno Alves

I don't know if I can properly explain my question, but I'll try: I'll be shooting something in Super 8 film, but I want to blow it up to a 16:9 aspect ratio after it is scanned. Let's say I want a particular shot to be a close-up in that 16:9 aspect ratio: how do I set it up in my Super 8 camera? In other words, let's say I set up a close-up with a 40mm focal length (in that Super 8 camera)? How much should I then "shorten" that focal length, so that whatever framing comes from that ends up being the close-up that I intend it to be in 16:9? In yet other words: is there a focal lenght ratio between shooting in the Super 8 aspect ratio (or for simplicity sake, let's say 4:3) and blowing it up to 16:9, so that I can know how much shorter should I choose my focal lenght to be when I shoot in Super 8?

Thanks for the help

• Premium Member

Since you're just cropping in one direction, vertically, to get to 1.78 : 1 from 1.44 : 1 -- about a quarter vertically, maybe less (you're cropping 5.79mm x 4.01mm to 5.79 x 3.25mm), it's hard to talk about crop factor since the horizontal view isn't changing. But you'll probably find yourself widening out a little to compensate because of the feeling that the vertical crop is making the shot feel tighter. Technically it's a 1.23X crop factor but only vertically, so a 40mm would be changed to a 32mm to compensate -- but then you're also widening out horizontally even though there is no horizontal crop.

• Premium Member

ISO 3645 has it all. The camera aperture image dimensions are 0.166" or 4,22 mm height and 0.224" or 5,69 mm width. The maximum projectable image area is 0.158" or 4,01 mm height and 0.215" or 5,46 mm width. The screen is three parts high and four parts wide.