Looking to buy - Aaton A Minima

Andrew Price

On 12/20/2023 at 12:25 AM, Tyler Purcell said:

Friends don't let friends buy A Minima's 

LOL 

You should stop fixing them then. 

I love my A minima. Def has its limitations and it’s not for every shoot… but for the right projects it’s truly amazing.. I have a darkroom at home and can wind my own film though as well… 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 12/22/2023 at 9:45 PM, Ivan Narez said:

You should stop fixing them then. 

I learned a long time ago, to never turn down money. 

The great thing about A Minima's is that they're easy to work on. 

So, we do a great job making them work great. Doesn't make them good cameras. 

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just some $0.2 if helpful as I've been shooting a ton with the Minima recently. They are so fun when they run well (THANKS Tyler). I can just throw it in a tote bag and get B-roll. I can throw it in a tote bag and get production-level images with sync audio. (Some like mine run real quiet) I've mounted mine to a bicycle, outside a car, in an underwater housing. I have the Fujinon 10-40mm lens made for the Minima and a small 3x3 Chroiszel matbox.. damn the footage looks amazing for the size

That said I would cry myself to sleep every night if someone asked me to use one on a bigger production.. so many points of failure. So few parts/ backup rentals available. I'm pretty fast at threading mine but wow again on set would not want that pressure. It's easy to get the film spooled here in NYC but requires you to plan ahead more.  

Probably the most fun camera I've ever shot with but only use it for personal / low stakes projects. Film is already stressful, would much rather have a user friendly, reliable cam like a 416 / SR3 on set 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 12/27/2023 at 8:30 PM, Dennis Toeppen said:

Pfft...A-Minimas are fine. Pay no mind to people who denigrate everything that is discussed here.

Right, but are you actually using it for commercial work or just having fun? 

Shit happens when you're on the road, producers make changes, suddenly you need 40 more rolls of film flown in and yea... I assume you're bringing your mobile darkroom with you and another 80 A minima spools right? 

Honestly, it's rare for me to be on a shoot and not want more film myself. 

So this is why my "lightweight" camera is a Beaulieu 2016. 

100ft daylight spools (off the shelf film) 
Crystal Sync 
High speed up to 80fps 
Built-in light meter
Forward AND Reverse operation 
C mount (low cost lenses) 
Extremely small/light body 
Simple/basic operation 
No darkroom required

Yea it's not Super 16, but I dare you to pick out the S16 and N16 shots from anything I've shot. You can't. 

Plus, you can get them for a few grand. 

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Martin Parsekian said:

Probably the most fun camera I've ever shot with but only use it for personal / low stakes projects. Film is already stressful, would much rather have a user friendly, reliable cam like a 416 / SR3 on set 

... and there is the problem sadly. 

I love working on them honestly, they are so simple and easy to understand mechanically. 

If they had a better magazine system, using standard off the shelf 100ft spools, I'd contemplate owning one and trusting it for commercial shoots. It's really the magazine AND the film loads/reliability, which is the problem. It's not ready for any commercial work in 2024 sadly. ?

• Confused 1