Direct Flash style lighting for film and video

I'm working on a music video and I want to create the feel of a direct flash style photograph for it. My guess is that its pretty simple but I thought I would ask here and see what you guys think. I really like the hyper-realistic affect it gives and it has a film noir/Weegee feel to the mood. Here is a video from Valentino for reference:

Thanks for your help!

• Premium Member

Seems fine - in that video the light has a lot of fall-off as if it was spotted in at times. And I'm not sure it is mounted to the camera or handheld above the lens, maybe it depends. The thing is that this video wasn't only lit with this spot, the space has some ambience, whether that was just available light or added, otherwise just having one light might be too high-contrast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Travis Shannon said:

I ended up doing this gag on two separate shoots last week and both times we just on offed a bare aputure 1200d on the strobe setting. 

By strobe do you mean flashing? I'm assuming this shoot was for stills. I'm hoping to get the effect on video. 

Edited by Donovan Wilson

10 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Seems fine - in that video the light has a lot of fall-off as if it was spotted in at times. And I'm not sure it is mounted to the camera or handheld above the lens, maybe it depends. The thing is that this video wasn't only lit with this spot, the space has some ambience, whether that was just available light or added, otherwise just having one light might be too high-contrast.

I think it makes sense to keep the light off the camera to get the direction of the shadows just right. I think I will analyze the video more and see if that's the case. I agree about the ambient light being a factor. 

How do you think the look works in terms of story telling?

light your background to a stop you like (generally 2 stops or so underexposed) then add in a bare direct light from the cameras direction. A good way to learn how to get what you like is just practice with a real strobe on a still camera balancing background and flash exposure levels. Its no different on film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 3:59 AM, Travis Shannon said:

I ended up doing this gag on two separate shoots last week and both times we just on offed a bare aputure 1200d on the strobe setting. 

I  think he wants the lighting look of on camera flash/strobes not the actual fx of strobe/flash.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, Donovan Wilson said:

By strobe do you mean flashing? I'm assuming this shoot was for stills. I'm hoping to get the effect on video. 

Neither shoot was stills, one was video and one was super 16mm film centered around fashion photography, the first was on Venice and the second was on SR3. And yeah by strobe I mean flashing (the light has a setting called strobe or sometimes paparazzi, it’s not an actual photo strobe) to simulate photo camera flash but you can also just run the light bare and direct and quickly on off it with a flag. If you want the look of flash then just flash a light, it just has to be powerful enough which an aputure has plenty of.

1 minute ago, Travis Shannon said:

Neither shoot was stills, one was video and one was super 16mm film centered around fashion photography, the first was on Venice and the second was on SR3. And yeah by strobe I mean flashing (the light has a setting called strobe or sometimes paparazzi, it’s not an actual photo strobe) to simulate photo camera flash but you can also just run the light bare and direct and quickly on off it with a flag. If you want the look of flash then just flash a light, it just has to be powerful enough which an aputure has plenty of.

And yeah if you want it constant like in that video you’d just need it direct and far back enough to get the falloff, spot it in, keep it directly behind camera and you should be good, worked for us

• Like 1