Tungsten light flicker when shooting with Arriflex 16S wild variable motor

Hello, I will be shooting in Europe under 50hz with Arriflex 16S with the original wild variable motor. Im worried that by shooting at 24fps 180° I will get flicker with 650w tungsten lights. I don’t know if I should shoot at 25fps, or the motor is so inaccurate it wouldn’t make a difference?

• Premium Member

Real tungsten light shouldn’t be a problem. Only fluorescents, cheap LEDs and HMI without electronic flickerfree ballasts. 

So many productions have been filmed with the ARRIFLEX 16 in the last century with the wild motor without flickering…

Edited by Sebastian Bock

• Premium Member

The Arriflex 16’s shutter opening angles are 85 degrees, so 170 degrees per frame.

Tungsten incandescent lamps don’t flicker due to the hot filament that doesn’t cool down between phase pulses.

2 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

The Arriflex 16’s shutter opening angles are 85 degrees, so 170 degrees per frame.

Tungsten incandescent lamps don’t flicker due to the hot filament that doesn’t cool down between phase pulses.

Wouldn’t tungsten fixtures below 2000w flicker a bit? Or is it only noticeable at high speeds?

20 hours ago, Ivan DImitrov Alexandrov said:

Wouldn’t tungsten fixtures below 2000w flicker a bit? Or is it only noticeable at high speeds?

As Simon says, the brightness of the filament does not vary very much on a 50hz supply. I have shot at 10,000pps with tungsten lighting and the flicker was not noticeable. If you want to check it, you could try high-speed video on your phone, or an app such as Video Tachometer set to a high frame rate.

The difference between a 180 and 170 degree shutter is insignificant.

Edited by Mark Dunn

7 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

As Simon says, the brightness of the filament does not vary very much on a 50hz supply. I have shot at 10,000pps with tungsten lighting and the flicker was not noticeable. If you want to check it, you could try high-speed video on your phone, or an app such as Video Tachometer set to a high frame rate.

The difference between a 180 and 170 degree shutter is insignificant.

I checked with my phone and the the 650w light, and it seems only to flicker noticeably at 120fps onwards.