Any advice on which Super 16 camera to buy?

Johnny Liu

5 hours ago, Fabian Schreyer said:

I second that. This website looks a lot like a fake shop to me! Unless someone knows for sure, who is behind it, I would stay away.

It's not fake to my knowledge, it's a fellow on Facebook named Jamie Welton,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2248960670/user/650315100/

This camera is also listed by him on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364755545778?itmmeta=01HR0NS4Z0VZ3XV17HNVVFVQZ3&hash=item54ed1feeb2:g:B~IAAOSwXPpl3OoS

1 hour ago, Geffen Avraham said:

It's not fake to my knowledge, it's a fellow on Facebook named Jamie Welton,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2248960670/user/650315100/

This camera is also listed by him on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364755545778?itmmeta=01HR0NS4Z0VZ3XV17HNVVFVQZ3&hash=item54ed1feeb2:g:B~IAAOSwXPpl3OoS

Thanks a lot for the links and the background information on this seller!   Seeing that he has sold several items on eBay before, I feel like it is more legit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, Allison Copp said:

@Tyler Purcell

I don't mind the standard look myself but it seems the only 400' rolls I can find are single perf or 500T. Am I stuck with 100' rolls for 50D or 250D?

Most cameras are made for single side perforated film, no matter which gate they have. 

If having one of the really old cameras which needs 2R film then it it different but I would try to avoid them the best I can, they make life difficult without any benefit to the end result

14 minutes ago, Aapo Lettinen said:

Most cameras are made for single side perforated film, no matter which gate they have. 

If having one of the really old cameras which needs 2R film then it it different but I would try to avoid them the best I can, they make life difficult without any benefit to the end result

tragic since that's what I have, I think you might be familiar though, an Eclair NPR

7 minutes ago, Allison Copp said:

tragic since that's what I have, I think you might be familiar though, an Eclair NPR

Though now that I look into I see that Les says as long as it doesn't scratch, should be fine. Guess I gotta get to testing. Would save me money til I get a S16 conversion.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Allison Copp said:

I thought they are all for 1R film as they are made for sound work, may be some old or special version then? The 2R film was most common before 60's, especially before about 1954 or so. For example Bolexes from the 50's already have 1R versions

8 minutes ago, Aapo Lettinen said:

I thought they are all for 1R film as they are made for sound work, may be some old or special version then? The 2R film was most common before 60's, especially before about 1954 or so. For example Bolexes from the 50's already have 1R versions

Okay you must forgive my ignorance since I just bought it but you're of course right! Incredible news. Thank you for correcting me!

8 hours ago, Allison Copp said:

Okay you must forgive my ignorance since I just bought it but you're of course right! Incredible news. Thank you for correcting me!

The only modern 16mm. cameras that must have 2R stock are medium-and high-speed, or should I say were, as all that is digital now. The only person to use 35mm. high-speed in the last decade or so has been Christopher Nolan.

12 hours ago, Allison Copp said:

@Tyler Purcell

I don't mind the standard look myself but it seems the only 400' rolls I can find are single perf or 500T. Am I stuck with 100' rolls for 50D or 250D?

Are you saying you cant find double perf rolls that arent 500T? cause single perf 16mm is available in 50d, 200t, 250d, 500t and ektachrome without issue, as well as B&W. you can order direct from kodak (which usually means calling them, they dont sell online), cinestill stocks 16mm and for a little while was willing to ship 400ft rolls. theres also frame24 in the UK, who tend to be a little cheaper even with shipping to the US (still not sure why, but I've never had any xray damage or anything from them). B&H also sells 16mm in the US, but they mark things up so much the only way that makes sense is if you have a student account with them. 

15 minutes ago, Robin Phillips said:

Are you saying you cant find double perf rolls that arent 500T? cause single perf 16mm is available in 50d, 200t, 250d, 500t and ektachrome without issue, as well as B&W. you can order direct from kodak (which usually means calling them, they dont sell online), cinestill stocks 16mm and for a little while was willing to ship 400ft rolls. theres also frame24 in the UK, who tend to be a little cheaper even with shipping to the US (still not sure why, but I've never had any xray damage or anything from them). B&H also sells 16mm in the US, but they mark things up so much the only way that makes sense is if you have a student account with them. 

Yes, thank goodness I have that student discount for B&H. I just loaded a 1R roll of 250D with success. I had called Kodak looking naively for 2R film and all they had was 500T.