Arri 435 movement

Samuel Preston

Is it still possible to find 435 movements? Are the movements interchangeable between the versions? I saw AM has a 435 3 perf movement for sale but for 6000€, which is what some basic 435 kits sell for as a whole (or at least did). Thats the only time ive been at all able to find a movement. If anyone has any leads in this regards I would appreciate it!

3 perf kits are uncommon at this point, which makes them quite valuable. you also need the 3 perf gate, not just the movement.

not sure what you're intending on using your 435 for, but finding and doing a 3 perf conversion may cost a lot more than any additional film costs incured by shooting 4 perf if its just for personal projects. 

if you need 3 perf for rentals and jobs, you probably would want to find an actual 3 perf camera. Arri certified pre owned actually had some 3 perf 435s for sale not too long ago, might be worth looking into if you need one asap. 

Hey thanks for the response, I should have clarified I am looking for ANY movement, 2,3 or 4 perf. 

I saw arri sold off some good packages recently, but I wasn’t aware at the time they were listed. 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Samuel Preston said:

Hey thanks for the response, I should have clarified I am looking for ANY movement, 2,3 or 4 perf. 

I saw arri sold off some good packages recently, but I wasn’t aware at the time they were listed. 

I've got an Arriflex 435 Advanced 3perf complete kit for sale. It is in London, originally purchased from ARRI UK.

17 minutes ago, Uli Meyer said:

I've got an Arriflex 435 Advanced 3perf complete kit for sale. It is in London, originally purchased from ARRI UK.

Hi Uli, i’ve seen your kit and it has peaked my interest. But I was hoping to get a dormant 435 up and running again for a fraction of the cost. 
If i don’t succeed i will definitely shoot you a message about your kit! 

Cheers

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Samuel Preston said:

Hi Uli, i’ve seen your kit and it has peaked my interest. But I was hoping to get a dormant 435 up and running again for a fraction of the cost. 
If i don’t succeed i will definitely shoot you a message about your kit! 

Cheers

Understandable. Good luck with it!

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Samuel Preston said:

I was hoping to get a dormant 435 up and running again for a fraction of the cost. 

Fitting a 435 movement is not a trivial job, even in the highly unlikely case that you unearth one somewhere for cheap. Have you looked into the labour cost of converting a 435? There are a handful of people worldwide who could do it nowadays, and most of those probably wouldn’t want to take it on, especially for the low cost you seem to be hoping for.

What are you actually trying to achieve? You have a “dormant” camera that needs a new movement? 

13 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

especially for the low cost you seem to be hoping for.

You have a “dormant” camera that needs a new movement? 

I have the opportunity to pick up a 435 with no movement for next to nothing, the am cameras movement would cost 6000, even with labor costs and the camera it would cost 1/2 of what ulis kit is up for. 

I’m not hoping for anything to be ‘low cost’ I’m a camera tech, I know what these things rightfully cost. But the end result would be, as i said, only a fraction of the cost of the current market prices. 

7 hours ago, Samuel Preston said:

I have the opportunity to pick up a 435 with no movement for next to nothing, the am cameras movement would cost 6000, even with labor costs and the camera it would cost 1/2 of what ulis kit is up for. 

I’m not hoping for anything to be ‘low cost’ I’m a camera tech, I know what these things rightfully cost. But the end result would be, as i said, only a fraction of the cost of the current market prices. 

honestly, if you want a 435 just wait a bit and maybe try to pick one up if IATSE strikes. lots of people are currently dumping all kinds of gear to prepare for that eventuality.

a 435 with no movement is probably more valuable as spare parts. I think you'd need to know from someone like Andree at AMcaemra what other parts you would need. I remember last year there was a 535 3 perf movement kit for sale, and it had much more than the movement. there was the gate, the 3 perf gate mask, and a back panel of some sort that was required. 

plus, if you are picking up a camera without a movement, you have no way of testing to see what is or isnt working on the camera. what if the movement was pulled cause the board fried (or damaged)? 435 main boards are not common. What if one of the motors is no good? 

If you really want to, I'd get as many photos and videos as possible of this camera body and send them to Andree to see what he thinks. 

though again, a busted camera might be worth something to the right person for the spare parts

1 hour ago, Robin Phillips said:

honestly, if you want a 435 just wait a bit and maybe try to pick one up if IATSE strikes. lots of people are currently dumping all kinds of gear to prepare for that eventuality.

I live in the EU, I haven’t seen any of the previous strikes affect the prices of gear over here. Maybe I just didn’t notice. 

But I’ll get in touch with AM and ask about what their movement includes or needs thanks!

Yeah the main thing is I need to check all other components of the 435 and see if they’re good, but i’m just figuring out feasibility of the project currently and trying to gather recourses to make it work.

11 minutes ago, Samuel Preston said:

I live in the EU, I haven’t seen any of the previous strikes affect the prices of gear over here. Maybe I just didn’t notice. 

But I’ll get in touch with AM and ask about what their movement includes or needs thanks!

Yeah the main thing is I need to check all other components of the 435 and see if they’re good, but i’m just figuring out feasibility of the project currently and trying to gather recourses to make it work.

I am an idiot for not reading your location. Honestly, if you're in Germany it may make more sense to have Arri check the camera out if Arri Munich will still look at private cameras. I know Berlin and Munich arent exactly right next to eachother, but if they'll look at it thatd be a lot easier than buying a camera in the EU, shipping to the US, then sent back to the EU. 

Cinefascilities is in the netherlands and I believe also services 435s, so that would be another local-ish option. At least an EU option.

But even being in the EU, there may be opportunities to buy US based cameras at a lower price if this strike goes down. I'd imagine locally prices might go up with so much US production looking to shift out of country right now.

Anyway, Im not trying to discourage you but rather make sure you dont buy a camera that will cost more to get operational than just buying a used but complete camera from square one. the last thing you want is to accidentally buy a money pit

4 minutes ago, Robin Phillips said:

I am an idiot for not reading your location.

Haha no worries. Arri rental berlin actually checked out, calibrated and tested my sr3 pro when i got it. So it doesn’t even need to be at arri munich but they definitely have all the knowledge down there.

Definitely won’t be anyone or any gear coming to germany either, all the big production companies and streaming services have called off all projects in germany for 2024, or at least a large majority. 

Thanks for the tip on cine facilities, i’ll message them and see if i can set something up. 

7 minutes ago, Robin Phillips said:

Anyway, Im not trying to discourage you but rather make sure you dont buy a camera that will cost more to get operational than just buying a used but complete camera from square one. the last thing you want is to accidentally buy a money pit

Thanks, I too would much rather have a working kit off the bat but I’m not in the position to pay the pretty high prices right now. And with Alexandre’s offer of the movement above, it is just so significantly cheaper, but we will see.