The absolut best way to power my Bolex EBM?

Olle Knutson

• Premium Member

I have a Bolex EMB that I would like to power with a V lock battery. I found this website that makes a battery plate with a V lock solution that looks nice but because the EBM is 12v only that wont really work since the v locks are 14v and up. I know there are battery plates who has built in regulators but they are so big and chunky. I would really like to have the plate on the back and still be able to look through the viewfinder. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bolex_fxlion_plate_v_mount_instruction_b

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, Olle Knutson said:

I have a Bolex EMB that I would like to power with a V lock battery. I found this website that makes a battery plate with a V lock solution that looks nice but because the EBM is 12v only that wont really work since the v locks are 14v and up. I know there are battery plates who has built in regulators but they are so big and chunky. I would really like to have the plate on the back and still be able to look through the viewfinder. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bolex_fxlion_plate_v_mount_instruction_b

Is it really possible to use the viewfinder if there is a battery sticking out of the back? I am pretty sure it would hit your face and make the operating difficult no matter how the battery plate is oriented. If it can be mounted to all different positions around the camera (door, rods, etc) then it could be useful but only the backside mounting would be very limiting by my opinion and I am pretty sure it would not work well in real world shooting.

using a step down converter and short cable would be useful as Robert suggested. it can be nice if the regulator is built into the battery plate but that makes it 20x more expensive regulator board than using a similar specs regulator separately.

personally I would use a separate regulator on a short cable and have different mounting positions for the battery plate so that it could be moved out of the way quickly if needed